Data Scientist - Senior Engineer
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN), a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses. With a deep and broad pipeline of potential new medicines, we continue to advance science to serve patients.
Amgens Digital Integration and Predictive Technologies organization is a global process development function that develops and deploys state of the art advanced computational technologies in:
1) Data capture, integration and management,
2) First principles modeling and machine learning towards improved process understanding and robustness, and
3) Monitoring, prediction and optimization of manufacturing.
We are seeking a Data Scientist to develop, apply and deploy rigorous mathematical models of biological systems and manufacturing process technologies with the goal to increase the efficiency of drug development and manufacturing processes. The candidate will apply chemical, biochemical, and metabolic process modeling to produce and maintain first principles and mechanistic models addressing a wide variety of challenging problems across many functions including: drug substance, drug product and drug delivery systems. Responsibilities will include identifying key product/unit/systems properties/phenomena, formulating the fundamental equations describing these, examining modeling simplification and assumptions, implementing models in commercial and proprietary software and deploying these models to internal users via an enterprise modeling infrastructure. The Data Scientist will collaborate heavily with internal stakeholders, as well as document and communicate the underlying technical basis of the models for the benefit of and use by engineers and scientists responsible for delivering processes and devices to operations. Experience in mathematical and computational (in-silico) modeling is required, and experience in homogeneous/heterogeneous reaction systems, separation systems (filtration, crystallization, distillation), or biologic/synthetic formulated products is highly desired.
Masters degree & 3 years of experience directly related to the job
Bachelors degree & 5 years of experience directly related to the job
Associate's degree & 10 years of experience directly related to the job
High School Diploma/GED & 12 years of experience directly related to the job
- Ph.D. in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering or related field.
- Exceptional command of fundamentals and first principles, including complex kinetic systems, thermodynamics, and transport phenomena.
- Modeling of biochemical systems and cell metabolism
- Modeling reaction, separation, thermodynamic and formulation phenomena of unit operations and flowsheets for small molecule drug substance and/or drug product process systems.
- Modeling of biophysical systems such as harvest and/or purification equipment.
- Modeling of oral adsorption and novel drug delivery systems.
- Numerical techniques for model calibration and uncertainty quantification
- Understanding of biopharmaceutical processes, unit operations and drug delivery systems.
- Basic programming skills in Python. Experience with gPROMS and gFormulatedProducts is a plus.
- Ability to independently uncover and resolve issues associated with the development and implementation of scientific and engineering projects.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen requires all staff in the United States and Puerto Rico to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.