Scientist, HTS Assay Development (Neuro)
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Enable Recursion to build a Map of Biology in human neural cell types, by leading projects to develop, validate and scale new high-throughput assays for whole genome CRISPR screening and drug profiling in iPSC-derived neural cells and other challenging human cell types.
- Design, implement, and scale robust workflows to run these complex biological assays using automated liquid handlers, high-content microscopes, robotic work cells and other scientific instrumentation.
- Rigorously analyze experimental data to validate new processes and troubleshoot existing systems - present your findings and coordinate direction with a cross-disciplinary team.
- Help train our HTS Operations team to perform newly developed assays at a scale of 100s to 1000s of 1536 well microplates per week.
- Enable the Recursion “Machine” to discover new impactful medicines and ultimately serve patients suffering from neurological diseases.
The Team You’ll Join
You’ll join the HTS Assay Development team within Recursion’s Core Operations Department. This team works closely with the Neurobiology group to develop and scale assays that enable Recursion to expand its growing Map of Biology; to do this you will also work closely with biologists, process development associates, data scientists, software engineers, automation engineers, and our supply chain team, among others. This team’s key output are robust assays for deployment on our high throughput screening platform, that integrates industry-leading automation to generate petabytes of high-dimensional data from human cells.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in Biology, Biotechnology or related field, or MS with 4+ years of relevant work experience
- A passion for working in a fast-paced environment where you’ll leverage creativity and independent thinking to develop high throughput assays at the leading edge of genome-wide screening and early stage drug screening of iPSC-derived human neural cells and other challenging human cell types.
- Extensive experience developing and running complex assays of neural cells in culture, preferably including transfection and genetic perturbation of these cells.
- Experience executing and analyzing a diversity of assay readouts in complex cellular models, with strong emphasis in fluorescence microscopy.
- Experience working with automated computer-controlled laboratory instrumentation and SBS standard microplates is strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience with statistical data analysis of research findings (experience with Python for data analysis is a plus).
- Demonstrated capacity to independently manage and coordinate scientific projects. Ability to lead projects, mentor and train others.
- Efficient and effective communication of research findings and interpretation in written and verbal form.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Recursionaut:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option and restricted stock unit (RSUs) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.