Director Preclinical Pharmacokintics
Avidity Biosciences is pioneering a new class of oligonucleotide-based therapies called AOCs designed to overcome the current limitations of oligonucleotide therapies in order to treat a wide range of serious diseases. We utilize our proprietary AOC platform to design, engineer and develop therapeutics that combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) and the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapies in order to access previously undruggable tissue and cell types and more effectively target underlying genetic drivers of diseases. We are passionate about the impact of every employee in bringing these potentially transformative therapeutics to patients in need. Make a difference with us.Job Summary
We are seeking an experienced drug developer and scientist to join the Development Sciences team at Avidity Biosciences in La Jolla, CA. This is a key position within the company that will lead and expand the bioanalytical (BA) and drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics (DMPK) function across research and development programs. A highly visible role with opportunity to define and implement BA and DMPK strategies for a new class of Antibody Oligonucleotide (AOC) therapeutics. Proven ability to mentor and guide a high functioning and productive team.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the bioanalytical (BA) and DMPK function at Avidity to support projects from early research through late phase clinical development. Develop and implement preclinical BA and DMPK strategies for the AOC platform.
- Mentor BA and DMPK scientists in the design and conduct preclinical pharmacokinetic studies to support drug candidate nomination and early preclinical drug development activities in-house and at contract research organizations
- Interpret preclinical pharmacokinetic data to inform the design of preclinical pharmacology and GLP toxicology studies
- Partner with clinical pharmacology on PKPD modeling activities to estimate efficacious dose and exposure range to support dose selection in toxicology studies
- Serve on research and development project teams as preclinical pharmacokinetics representative
- Draft pharmacokinetic and bioanalytical sections of regulatory documents
- 6+ years experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry in the area of preclinical drug discovery and/or development
- Experience in the conduct, analysis and interpretation of in vivo preclinical pharmacokinetic studies
- Experience with large molecule (monoclonal antibody and/or ADCs) and/or oligonucleotide therapeutic modalities
- Experience or familiarity with developing and validating bioanalytical assay development, including anti-drug antibody assays, for preclinical and clinical development
- Experience with characterization of ADME properties of drug candidates
- Experience leading and building high functioning teams
- Must be detail oriented with strong documentation and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a matrix environment and develop relationships with key stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to efficiently relay information to project teams and other key stakeholders
- Strong research background and interest in understanding PK/ADME data in the context of complex biology
- Proven ability to work independently and be self-motivated
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- PhD degree in pharmaceutics, biochemistry, pharmacokinetics, pharmacology, biomedical engineering, chemistry or related discipline
Avidity is committed to complying with federal, state and local law on employee vaccinations. Job candidates should be aware that full vaccination against COVID-19 may be required in the future. Avidity is an equal opportunity employer and encourages potential or current employees to request a reasonable accommodation under federal, state and local regulations, should one be needed.