Deputy General Counsel - Patents
We’re looking to hire a Deputy General Counsel - Patents to join us in our mission to improve human health and quality of life through the development, distribution, and application of advanced computational methods.
We are a rapidly-growing life sciences company with both a technology business and a drug discovery business. We seek counsel with the leadership and relationship skills, initiative, determination, and focus to be a significant contributor to the Company’s business and corporate objectives.
The role is based in our New York or Boston office.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with our Drug Discovery Group (DDG) and external advisors as needed to develop strategy for pursuing chemical matter and process patents for internal drug discovery and development programs
- Lead analysis of potentially competitive chemical matter/patents with respect to internal drug discovery programs
- Manage Company’s portfolio of drug discovery and technology patents and patent applications
- Manage outside patent counsel
- Advise on patent/IP aspects of business transactions across all areas of the business
- Establish best practices/criteria for identifying patentable inventions the Company may wish to pursue
- Develop strategy for, and work with multiple teams in company to educate/train on best practices for purposes of protecting Company patent rights, mitigating risk of infringement, etc.
What you’ll need:
- Ten to fifteen years of experience as a patent attorney prosecuting chemical matter patents
- Patent bar registration
- PhD in chemistry or other relevant field
- Extensive experience devising strategies for protecting chemical matter IP and developing/analyzing competitive intelligence
Pay and perks:
Schrödinger understands it’s people that make a company great. Because of this, we’re prepared to offer a competitive salary, stock options, and a wide range of benefits that include healthcare (with dental and vision), a 401k, pre-tax commuter benefits, a flexible work schedule, and a parental leave program. We have catered meals in the office every day, a company culture that is relaxed but engaged, and over a month of paid vacation time. Our Administrative and Human Resources departments also plan a myriad of fun company-wide events. New York is home to our largest office, but we have teams all over the world. Schrödinger is honored to have been selected as one of Crain's New York Best Places to Work for the past three years running.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join us!
As an equal opportunity employer, Schrödinger hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company's mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. To us, "diversity" isn't just a buzzword, but an important element of our core principles and key business practices. We believe that diverse companies innovate better and think more creatively than homogenous ones because they take into account a wide range of viewpoints. For us, greater diversity doesn't mean better headlines or public images - it means increased adaptability and profitability.