Associate Scientist/Scientist I
Neurona Therapeutics is an early-stage biotechnology company based in South San Francisco focused on the development of neuronal cell-based therapies for neurological disease. Our ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual who has a passion for scientific research. This is a fantastic opportunity for a junior scientist to join a small team, work on transformative science, and take part in building an exciting, science-driven company and develop groundbreaking cell therapy products.
- Work in close collaboration with Discovery Associate Director, to lead the development of hPSC differentiation method into a specific neuronal population, for the development of a next generation of cell therapy product.
- Maintain human pluripotent stem cells and differentiate into a variety of neuronal lineages from 384 well plates to regular and large-scale culture vessels.
- Explore multiple derivation methods applying combinatorial screening to identify key signaling pathways involved in subtype specification.
- Identify lead methods and conduct validation and scale up experiments, collaborating with Process and Preclinical departments, in order to support disease modifying activity studies.
- Develop cell-based assays using automated liquid handler for stem cell differentiation optimization and validation.
- Utilize 2D and 3D High Content Screening (HCS) technology for high-throughput analysis of cell populations.
- Characterize differentiated cells (immuno cyto-chemistry, Flow cytometry, RT-QPCR, RNA sequencing).
- Conduct fluorescence or magnetic -activated cell sorting experiments.
- Prepare tissue culture reagents (media, small molecules, cytokines); Tissue culture room upkeep and restocking.
- Maintain detailed records, perform data analysis, reporting and presentation (group, team and company meetings)
- PhD. (+1 year of relevant experience) or Master degree (+ 5 to 7 years of relevant experience), in cell and molecular biology, focusing on pluripotent stem cells differentiation
- Proven scientific achievements by high publication records
- Proficient with pluripotent stem cell culture, in vitro differentiation and molecular/functional characterization.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills, proficiency with Microsoft office.
- Able to take initiative to improve work processes, develop innovative scientific methodologies and approaches to enhance research productivity.
- High integrity, great organization and ability to multitask while working within fast-paced timelines
- Critical thinking, strong team player and problem-solvers
- Willing to work a limited number of hours during weekends.
- Experience with automated liquid handlers to perform medium / high throughput cell-based screenings.
- Experience with coding (R, Python, …) would be a plus.
- Knowledge in neuroscience and human developmental biology
- One year of experience with lab automation for cell-based screening assays (protocol creation, hands on automates)
- Experience with transcript- and protein-based gene expression analyses, high content screening.
Neurona is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment.