Research Associate/ Senior Research Associate, Metabolic Drug Discovery
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the 2020 Best Places to Work in San Diego, is in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad. For more than 30 years, Ionis has been the leader in RNA-targeted therapy, pioneering new markets and changing standards of care with our novel antisense technology. Ionis currently has three marketed medicines – Spinraza, the standard of care for all forms of spinal muscular atrophy; Tegsedi, the first approved RNA-targeted therapy for polyneuropathy caused by hereditary ATTR (transthyretin) amyloidosis; and Waylivra, the only approved treatment for familial chylomicronemia syndrome (FCS). Ionis has a premier late-stage pipeline highlighted by our industry-leading neurological and cardiometabolic franchises. Scientific innovation began and continues at Ionis with the understanding that sick people depend on the success of the company. This belief drives Ionis’ vision of becoming one of the most successful biotechnology companies.
As the first company to fully harness the power of RNA technology for human therapeutics, Ionis’ platform continues to revolutionize drug discovery and transform lives for patients with unmet needs. Ionis’ medicines span multiple therapeutic areas, routes of administration and diverse patient populations, and Ionis innovation is driving meaningful progress for many of the most challenging health issues.
Ionis is building upon our innovative research and drug development excellence to provide greater value to patients. Based on the breadth and remarkable progress of our pipeline, Ionis is projecting to have a vast number of new transformational products on the market in the coming years. Ionis is well positioned financially to deliver on our strategic goals.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE/SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, METABOLIC DRUG DISCOVERY
- We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to join our drug discovery research group as a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate. The selected candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary team of energetic researchers. The successful candidate will be an innovative thinker with the ability to work independently to conceptualize, design and meticulously carry out in vitro and in vivo assays. The position will involve research, development, optimization and troubleshooting of methods to characterize antisense oligonucleotides in cells and animals in different metabolic conditions. Specific work includes:
- Conceive, plan, and execute basic scientific experiments to further characterize the mechanism(s) of target modulation.
- Apply molecular and cell-based assays including but not limited to RNA purification, transfection, gene expression analysis (RT-qPCR & DGE), and fluorescence immunocytochemistry.
- B.S./M.S. degree in Biology or Biochemistry and 5 yrs (B.S.) or 3 yrs (M.S.) post-graduate experience engaged in bench research
- Extensive experience and demonstrated expertise in mammalian cell culture is essential.
- The candidate must have experience with primary (rodent) cell isolation and culture. Pertinent cell types include, but are not limited to, hepatocytes, stellate cells and macrophages.
- Proven hands-on experience with animal models of liver
- Strong molecular biology skills/biochemistry is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to be productive and successful in a very demanding and intense work environment
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition #IONIS02575
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.