Director, Biomarkers and Translational Science
As a member of the Biology group, the Director will join a dynamic and highly motivated team driving the discovery, characterization and development of immuno-modulatory drugs. The job demands an in-depth understanding of biomarker development for cancer immunotherapy and immune-related disorders and the ability to apply that knowledge to advance small molecule therapies through preclinical development and into proof-of-concept studies in humans.
As a key member of the group, the successful applicant will lead several scientists in the establishment of predictive biomarker plans and the development of assays to assess pharmacodynamic response to our novel therapies. This position requires working collaboratively with others across the spectrum of the company including preclinical biology, computational sciences, and clinical operations.
The Director is expected to contribute at both the applied (technical) and strategic levels. A strong candidate will be enthusiastic about supporting the operation of a dynamic laboratory, have great attention to detail, superior organizational skills, and a concern for development of our up-and-coming scientists.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A Ph.D. with a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience in drug development at a biotech/pharmaceutical company or the equivalent experience at an academic clinical research (NCI, NIH, Academic Research groups etc)
- Demonstrated experience in leading teams and obtaining results in a matrixed environment.
- Proven track record in clinical study design, monitoring and execution and results analysis from biomarker perspective.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, and presentations) and cross functional team work are essential.
- Expertise in translational sciences with experience in development and implementation of biomarker assays in clinical trials. Expertise in human immunology, cancer immunotherapy, oncology, cancer cell signaling pathways, and translational research is highly desirable..
- Experience in a pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical drug discovery environment.
- A strong record of publications in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Passion to develop novel therapies that will prolong the lives of people with cancer and improve the quality of life for people with inflammatory diseases.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Establishing and managing external collaborations and contract research organizations (CROs).
- Works with Clinical Development for implementation of biomarker sample collection and bioanalysis.
- Acting as subject matter expert for clinical biomarker assessment.
- Develops and implements use of databases and interprets biomarker data in conjunction with clinical outcomes.
- Employ existing study data to inform reverse translational research.
- Supports global regulatory strategy and represents biomarker strategy with regulatory agencies as well as contributing to IND or CTA filings for new clinical candidates.
- Guiding team members through high-level biomarker strategies as well as assay development and qualification and transfer to external labs.
- Contributing to strategy of RAPT at the project as well as the portfolio level.
The role demands a highly goal-driven approach and the ability to focus on time-sensitive objectives. The candidate should also enjoy operating in an exceptionally dynamic and cooperative environment where every voice matters.
Particular consideration will be given to candidates with a strong working knowledge of immunology, oncology, or other human disease field.
RAPT Therapeutics is an exciting company founded on the vision of creating new therapeutics through the innovative application of unexploited insights in immunology. The company was formed by a group of seasoned researchers from the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, supported by two of the nation’s premier life sciences venture capital firms. We are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, in the heart of the world’s largest biotechnology research hub. RAPT Therapeutics offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including aggressive participation in the growth of the company in the form of stock option grants.