Director, Global Pricing & Contracting
Imagine\u2026 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives.This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapy are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
We use cutting-edge technology to turn promising gene therapies into proven treatments beginning with SMA but also focusing on Rett Syndrome and Friedreich's Ataxia. Imagine the lives you could transform by joining the Novartis Gene Therapy team.
The Director, Global Pricing & Contracting, is responsible within the global integrated access function on all aspects of pricing and contracting, including pricing and reimbursement implications for all commercial opportunities and risks. This role is global, with responsibility for both US & ex-US pricing for the Novartis Gene Therapies and role is a critical part of building a clear and comprehensive understanding of the global pricing and contracting landscape from a strategic and operational perspective.
- Leads the analysis and development of pricing strategies for all gene therapies across the company platform.
- Helps to enable the GPA team to both mitigate the increasing risks in the marketplace as well as to shape contracting strategies to optimize opportunities in a manner more conducive to the strategic objectives of the Novartis Gene Therapies Business.
- Strategic Pricing Management for all Novartis Gene Therapies: provides strategic pricing guidance for all of the assets in anticipation of / response to trends in the therapeutic space including new competitors, new data from existing competitors, strategic changes by competitors and changing policy regulations in key markets.
- Provides analytical oversight for the development and implementation of global pricing and contracting strategies / guidance for our gene therapy platform both inline and pipeline assets and in collaboration with top countries and regions. As well as specific assigned BD&L opportunities.
- Provides thought-leadership on key pricing-related topics and methods of analysis to guide pricing-related decision-making within the organization.
- Diligently surveils the competitive landscape in terms of pricing, including determining lifetime treatment costs of potential comparators / analogs to inform strategic pricing of Novartis Gene Therapies.
- Price Approval Process: Based on sound business judgement and understanding of one-time therapies context represents the functional perspective and ensures compliance with brand strategy is maintained with all price changes.
- Works with appropriate stakeholders to develop creative solutions to pending negative price or access actions impacts present and advocate recommendation to key stakeholders including Global Patient Access Head, Translational Access Leaders, Global Brand Leaders, Geneconomics, Global Pricing Leadership Team and others as necessary.
- Develops and maintains high-performing operational pricing processes that inform strategic pricing and access decisions within the Global Patient Access (GPA) function.
- Champion best practice and innovative approaches to pricing to raise pricing capability throughout Novartis Gene Therapies at both regional and country level.
- Develops communication strategy for pricing rationale in collaboration with other stakeholders across the organization (e.g. Policy).
- Oversees and monitors functionality of pricing tools, models, databases, systems and other components of relevant operational pricing processes to nurture and inform innovative strategic pricing concepts.
- Provides operational and pricing analytical oversight, including:
- Conducts international reference pricing assessments to identify pricing risks and model the optimal launch sequence.
- Develops and updates advanced pricing tools (e.g. innovative payment models assessment tool) to inform strategic pricing decisions.
- Maintains pricing database to capture the global list and net price evolution the Novartis Gene Therapies' platforms.
- Provides pricing input to key planning processes, e.g. at development milestones of targets and new technologies (Development Transition Point, Development Decision Point, Submission Decision Point etc.).
- Price Planning and mitigation: active role in the identification, planning and execution of mitigation activities as determined by pricing guidance, including; Identifying competitor strategies for anticipation of future competitive activities and development and implementation of price erosion mitigation actions in collaboration with countries and regions.
- Coordinates and reviews pricing business cases in line with the global pricing governance (GSPC and RSPC) and manages exceptions that fall outside price guidance.
- Drives the development of an active, agile and ambitious culture within GPA.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's of science (or similar degree) with 10 years' experience in global pricing of first-in-class specialty pharmaceutical products. Masters with 8 years' relevant experience or Doctorate degree with 6 years' relevant experience.
- Extensive prior experience in pricing (rare diseases preferred), with relevant experience in developing pricing tools, models, databases, systems and other components of relevant operational pricing processes to nurture and inform innovative strategic pricing concepts.
- Comprehensive knowledge of access landscape, pricing vehicles, contracting strategies across key global markets (e.g. US, EU-5, Japan) and international price referencing as well HTA driven markets
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of US healthcare economics and the drivers of pharmaceutical demand, including pricing and reimbursement.
- Excellent strategic, analytical skills and ability to draw insights / derive implications from analyses.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft applications (e.g. PowerPoint, Excel).
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.