Data Engineer I
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Data Engineer I will be responsible for developing and managing applications and interfaces for the capture and reporting of laboratory-based data. This position will also be responsible for developing and maintaining laboratory templates and workflows in addition to trouble-shooting system issues and recommending and implementing changes. The candidate will assist in defining a global data management strategy as well as provide input into the long-term direction of data applications. The candidate will also assist with data mining and analysis requests from multiple groups within Technical Operations.
The candidate must unite strong programming and technical skills with a knowledge of laboratory workflows, process development, tech transfer, and customer service. The individual must have strong interpersonal skills, and a proven ability to work independently in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment.
- Perform administrative actions to support and maintain use of the ELN.
- Provider user support for questions, requests, and updates.
- Gathers user requirements, designs architecture, and develops for new applications or integrations for the capture, management and trending of Manufacturing, Manufacturing Sciences and Process Sciences data.
- Manages projects related to the improvement of developed and supported applications.
- Manages and troubleshoots existing data management tools and applications.
- Assists in defining a global data management strategy and data application vision.
- Support routine requests for data mining and complex data analysis.
- Work independently while supporting and interfacing with multiple groups including Manufacturing Sciences, Process Sciences, Manufacturing, IM, Quality, Automation, & Facilities.
- Prepares operating instructions, documentation and training materials as well as delivers training on developed and supported systems.
- Collaborates with current and prospective data source system administrators to limit the impact of changes to source systems and facilitate integration between systems.
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience in pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical manufacturing
- Experience with electronic laboratory notebooks and laboratory workflows. Benchling experience a plus.
- Experience with RDBMS and SQL. Oracle and PL/SQL experience a plus.
- Programming experience object-oriented language (e.g. Visual Basic, Python, C#, etc.) and system APIs preferred.
- Experience with developing/reviewing documentation (User Requirements, Functional Specifications, Software Design Specifications, and Software Test Plans) preferred.
- Experience with project management with a proven track record of successfully leading, facilitating, managing, and delivering on large, cross-functional projects/initiatives
- Ability to speak to, present information/data to, and gather consensus/buy-in from a variety of audiences/stakeholders
- Ability to self-direct and work both independently and in conjunction with cross-functional teams
- Proficiency with standard Office software applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point, and MS Visio.
- Experience with electronic quality management systems such as TrackWise, LIMS, Veeva, etc.
- BA/BS degree in a technical discipline (physical, engineering, chemical, biological sciences, etc.) is required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.