Director, Analytical Sciences
Viridos (formerly Synthetic Genomics, Inc) is a privately held biotechnology company harnessing the power of photosynthesis to create transformative solutions to mitigate climate change. Our unparalleled understanding of algal genetics and ability to translate innovation from lab to field underpins our initial deployment: a scalable platform to produce low-carbon intensity biofuels for aviation, commercial trucking, and maritime shipping. Building on a legacy of genomic firsts, our team of scientists and engineers are shaping new pathways toward a sustainable bioeconomy. We are currently looking to add a Director, Analytical Sciences to our team in La Jolla, CA.
The director will oversee company-wide analytical technologies from small scale R&D biological samples through to finished product which enable our algal engineering efforts for biofuel production.
The role is responsible for the management of the analytical sciences team and work closely with diverse, cross-functional teams both across the R&D organization as well as with external stakeholders, the successful candidate will drive the implementation of new data analytics tools and methods that facilitate our R&D program and our efforts towards larger-scale production.
- Participates in establishing strategic plans and objectives.
- Provides high-level guidance and support to employees and other managers. Regularly interacts with executives and/or external influencers on matters affecting the organization.
- Leads/manages analytical activities across the R&D organization and external service providers.
- Anticipates and recognizes analytical challenges and makes recommendations for solutions and allocation of resources needed to meet company goals.
- Champions approaches and builds tools that preserve scientific rigor and quality.
- Support and improve experimental design regarding anticipated data needs for projects.
- End-to-end analysis of project data that includes quality control, data qualification, hypothesis testing, interpretation, and subsequent presentation.
- Analyzes and presents data reports that translate complex ideas into relevant and intuitive explanations. This may include conference abstracts, manuscripts, and informatic deliverables for both grants and patent applications.
- Maintains awareness of relevant literature, attends national meetings, and keeps up with new techniques and approaches.
Required Experience and Skills
- Typically requires a minimum of 10 years of experience, including at least 5 years of successful leadership experience, and a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, or related field in an industrial/commercial laboratory setting.
- Experienced use of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) highly desired.
- Proven track record of achievement in analytical sciences demonstrated by highly cited publications, impactful tools, products, or data sets used by the scientific community, presentations at international conferences, and awards.
- A diverse knowledge of modern biochemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and analytical chemistry.
- A track record of productivity with peer-reviewed publications and patents.
- Prior experience in project management in a research or industry setting.
- Proven leader of technical teams and subordinates.
- Build and sustain employee engagement by creating a culture of efficient execution and an environment in which individuals and teams can excel and continuously improve.
- Demonstrated state-of-the-art technical knowledge particularly with chromatographic separations (LC&GC), quantitative MRM MS, accurate-mass MS, MSn, modern extraction techniques, small-scale purification strategies, NMR, and FTIR.
- Experience with analysis of complex analytes in difficult matrices in food, fuels, and nutritional products (e.g., lipids, proteins, carbohydrates, natural products)
- Experience with modern data acquisition and analysis software with chemometrics and statistics.
- Able to work independently and within a team setting, possessing the flexibly to adapt to changing priorities across multiple interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate initiative in the implementation of new projects and managing the necessary staffing required to meet project goals and deliverables.
- Critical thinking and proven problem-solving skills
- Can effectively establish priorities amongst competing project requests and anticipate trends which may change staffing or equipment requirements.
- Experience working with external contractors, such as partner industrial companies or external laboratories involved in chemical analysis.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to collaborate, seek constructive feedback, build relationships, promote teamwork, and remain flexible and open-minded.
- Able to quickly adapt to change.