Director, Commercial Assessment and Analytics Strategy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Global Commercial Development (GCD) team is searching for a strategic, deal-oriented, intellectually-curious healthcare analytics professional to lead forecasting in support of AbbVie’s Business Development efforts. This role is also accountable for the data and analytics strategy for the broader GCD Forecasting team.
The successful candidate will have at least seven years of healthcare analytics experience—ideally pharmaceuticals—and will have experience with a broad range of data sources and analytical techniques. This individual will leverage clinical and commercial insights, competitive and market analysis, syndicated secondary data sources, and primary research in the development of strategic forecasts, and will work with commercial partners to develop P&Ls that inform strategic decision making and the negotiation of acquisitions, partnerships, and licensing agreements. This individual will be a true strategic partner in the BD commercial assessment process and will provide perspective on how each opportunity will align with and support the therapeutic area strategy.
This role requires strong analytical and financial acumen, intellectual curiosity, flexibility, comfort with ambiguity, the ability to develop recommendations with incomplete information, and the management of multiple, simultaneous work streams.
This role reports to the head of Global Pipeline and Business Development Forecasting.Job Responsibilities Commercial Assessment Forecasting
The primary responsibility of this role is to develop net sales Forecasts and associated P&Ls to support commercial assessment of business development opportunities in assigned therapeutic areas.Maintain market knowledge
- Develop and maintain knowledge of key commercial and scientific trends in assigned therapeutic areas. Partner with commercial leadership to establish the vision for what these markets might look like in the future, and how AbbVie can best leverage external partnerships to advance these markets and treatments.
- Remain abreast of industry and therapeutic area trends by reviewing analyst reports, primary and secondary market research, clinical study results, competitor profiles, promotional activity levels, pricing, and scientific literature.
- Establish relationships with internal partner functions outside of GCD to support development of forecast assumptions. Potential partner functions include but are not limited to Business Development, Search and Evaluation, Marketing Analytics & Business Insights (MABI), Global Market Access & Pricing (GMAP), and Global Epidemiology.
- Design, build, and operate forecast models.
- Develop competitive intelligence and become the key source of information on the project and the future marketplace dynamics.
- Partner with MABI to shape primary research activities and conduct secondary data searches.
- Develop therapeutic area overviews, market assessments and forecasts for future product opportunities.
- Provide fact-based commercial analysis utilizing primary and secondary market research and opinion leader input to support go/no go decisions.
- Forecast product sales and profits under various scenarios that consider alternative strategies and risks.
- Identify, and articulate uncertainties in forecast assumptions, and quantify potential downside risk and upside opportunity.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to align on key P&L assumptions.
- Provide P&L support for the broader commercial assessment team.
- Partner with commercial assessment leads to create cohesive deal overview presentations and recommendations for presentation to senior leadership.
A secondary responsibility of this role is to maintain and implement the data strategy for the GCD Forecasting team.
- Remain abreast of analytical tools, subscriptions, and data sources that may support Forecasting team needs.
- Develop recommendations on analytical tools and data sources to license for forecasting team and partner use, and work with external suppliers as needed to develop and execute data licensing agreements.
- Work cross-functionally within AbbVie to understand available sources of data & insights and work to obtain access as appropriate for the forecasting team.
- Serve as an internal consultant to members of the forecasting teams in support of data and analytics needs.
Bachelor’s degree in a technical field is required. MBA or other advanced degree, also in a technical field, is preferred.Experience
- Experience with many of the following areas in the biopharmaceutical industry: business development, mergers & acquisitions, market sizing, forecasting and corporate valuations.
- Experience across multiple therapeutic areas is required, experience in Immunology is preferred.
- Strong grasp of financial modeling (P&L) and valuation as well as pharmaceutical market dynamics.
- Experience in working cross functionally with colleagues.
- Excellent, persuasive, and logical written and oral communications skills across all seniority levels.
- Knowledge of clinical development, regulatory issues, and market dynamics in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Primary market research preferred: qualitative and especially quantitative study design, instrument development and analysis.
- Secondary market data and research reports: extract and analyze data from multiple sources (e.g. IMS, pricing sources, longitudinal patient data, syndicated reports).
- Comfort with searching and reviewing scientific literature.
- Project oriented with highly developed planning and prioritization skills and with the ability to work independently to manage workload and hit deliverables.
- Strong analytical and strategic skill set.
- Excel Expert: ability to quickly build detailed forecast, profit and loss statements, and discounted cash flow analyses. PowerPoint proficient: ability to quickly create presentations that effectively communicate complex ideas in story form.
- Highly creative, resourceful, self-motivated, and intellectually curious with the ability to independently structure and complete complex analyses.
- A team player with a positive, flexible, can-do attitude that works well with urgency and has a strong record of developing and leading solutions to issues.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.