Scientist (mRNA & Synthetic Biology)
Summary of Role:
We are seeking a Scientist who is ready to show their skills to join our R&D Team. This role will report to the Director of R&D and will have an opportunity to contribute to the development of new products and building our business around our biopolymer-printer. A successful candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced and a highly collaborative start-up environment doing cutting-edge science. This person will work closely with personnel from the R&D, Manufacturing and Operations Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceive, plan and execute wet lab experiments.
- Engage and collaborate with team members at Codex DNA to bring research related initiatives towards new product development.
- Document experiments in detailed and complete reports; present data-supported conclusions in meetings.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative and follow-through in implementing projects and tasks.
- Keep up to date with scientific literature in the areas of strategic interest to Codex DNA.
- Work on projects effectively to meet key milestones and deadlines with minimal oversight.
- Serve as an example to Codex DNA’s Culture.
- Minimum of 3 years of academic experience with basic molecular biology techniques such as PCR, RT-PCR, Cloning (Gibson Assembly, Conventional Ligation Technique, Golden-Gate Assembly), plasmid and genomic DNA extraction, agarose-gel analysis and extraction of DNA, Microbiological media preparation, Buffers preparation, Sterile Techniques for propagating bacterial and yeast cultures, Sanger Sequencing and NGS data analysis.
- Hands-on experience with in vitro transcription (IVT) and coupled in vitro transcription-translation, protein overexpression techniques, analysis through SDS-PAGE, Western Blot is a must.
- Innovative in trouble shooting, generating new ideas and constantly willing to learn will be considered highly favorable characteristics for this position.
- Adaptability to changing priorities and projects is expected.
- All other duties as assigned or necessary
- PhD in Life Sciences (Molecular Biology/Biochemistry/Synthetic Biology/RNA Biology/Cell-free synthesis) or similar industry work experience.
- 1+ years of industry experience working on or shipping a commercial project/product.
- As a critical and essential role, the candidate must be willing and able to travel to the San Diego, CA office to report to work. We have protocols in place to provide a safe, socially distanced work environment.