Pathology Associate II
MacroGenics is a leader in the discovery and development of innovative medicines that utilize our next generation antibody-based technologies. Our team of 300+ dedicated individuals is advancing a pipeline of product candidates to treat patients with cancer as well as various autoimmune disorders and infectious diseases. Our products and platforms have attracted multiple partnerships with leading pharmaceutical companies around the globe.
The Company considers its employees to be its most valuable asset and we are committed to providing opportunities for individuals to learn and grow as a means to further their professional development. MacroGenics' corporate culture promotes an atmosphere of innovation, open communication and teamwork where employees can see firsthand how they contribute to the success of the organization.
Summary of Position
The Pathology Associate II is an experienced individual responsible for developing pathology-related assays in the fast-paced research pathology laboratory which supports drug discovery and development . The pathology work will support target discovery, drug candidate selection, animal model evaluation, and biomarker development in patient samples from clinical trials as well as prevalence studies in tissue micro-array samples. The pathology data may be used to support IND filing. He/she will work independently on routine work and receive general instructions for new assignments.
Responsibilities and Job Duties
- Performs routine histology and immunohistochemistry (IHC) procedures utilizing appropriate equipment and in accordance with established procedures.
- Performs tissue processing, embedding, sectioning, H&E staining, IHC staining and other special staining as well as other related duties such as cell culture and antibody conjugation assays.
- Participates in the quality control of tissue bank activities including the performance of H&E/IHC staining, the entry of information to histology data base, and the archiving of pathology reports
- Maintains detailed written records, complete image processing, generate power point slides of stained tissue images and transcribe the pathologist’s findings.
- Supports and participates in the IND filing process by writing reports for method section preparation and assembling the pathology and immunohistochemistry data for submission as requested.
- Monitors tissue bank freezers after hours to ensure sustained temperatures and freezer performance. Resolves any issues that arise whenever possible. Reports any concerns or issues to manager.
- Works with vendors and coordinates with laboratory manager to ensure histology equipment is maintained properly and in good working order. Raises any problems or concerns that cannot be addressed with vendor, to manager as necessary.
Education, Certifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in biology/life sciences
- A minimum of two years of histology lab experience
- Experience with VIP processing machines and auto stainers
- Experience with IHC, In situ hybridization (ISH), and cell culture
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Routine histology skills are necessary
- Knowledge of picture editor software and tools, as well as image analysis software.
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Good record keeping, organizational and technical writing skills
- Ability to be on call for monitoring tissue bank freezers after hours and to work after hours to process tissues
- Willingness to learning new techniques
ASCP Board HT certification is preferred
Cell immune assay is also preferred.
MacroGenics is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email email@example.com or call (301) 354-3566 and/or 711 for TTD/TTY service.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
We do not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies.