ESCAPE BIO, Inc., a privately held, clinical stage biopharmaceutical company, is developing precisely targeted, novel therapies for genetically defined patients with neurodegeneration. ESCAPE BIO was founded to leverage the rapid acquisition of emerging knowledge about novel neurobiology and genomics. We have a diverse pipeline of novel and best-in-class small molecule therapeutics in major areas of unmet need. We are building the leading neurodegenerative disease company focused on neurodegenerative orphan populations.
ESCAPE BIO has a strong investor base and management team and has a pipeline of early stage clinical development programs.
We are looking for a GL Accountant to own the Accounts Payable function and assist with the general ledger, audit and the preparation of financial statements. This person will be responsible for AP and GL accounting functions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). We want an individual who is strong on accounting knowledge and who welcomes a hands-on role. The position reports to the Accounting Manager. This position will encompass tight deadlines, a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end, tax and audit support. The GL Accountant will have direct contact with the external auditors and senior management which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Process invoices, vouchers and expenses ensuring relevant approvals and/or in accordance with contract/agreement
- Process weekly check runs and wire payments
- Month-end A/P close
- Maintain A/P files for vendors
- Prepares journal entries
- Maintains and reconciles general ledger accounts
- Documentation of A/P processes, procedures, and internal controls
- Manage 1099 process annually
- Manage expense report processing
- Complete balance sheet account reconciliation and bank account reconciliation by the established due dates
- Assist with annual tax return preparation in liaison with external tax accountants
- Assist with quarterly use tax review
- Assist and support external auditors in annual audit
- Prepare detailed schedules in Excel to support entries to the GL
- Maintain appropriate backup for all transactions posted to GL - Excel schedules, contracts/agreements, email correspondence.
- Data entry and filing as needed
- Assist in various monthly and quarterly close processes as needed
- Maintain high level of confidentiality
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting (or related experience)
- Big 4 experience a plus
- 2+ years of accounting experience
- Previous accounts payable processing experience
- Previous experience in a fast-growing environment is a plus
- Previous experience in the lifescience / medical device industry is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Hands on experience with ERP systems (NetSuite knowledge a plus)
- Hands on experience with Bill.com a plus
- Knowledge of GAAP, balance sheet and income statements, internal controls, and other areas related to financial reporting requirements required
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn new skills and be autonomous
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must be highly organized, be able to prioritize and multitask.
- Must have high level of integrity, accuracy and be detail-oriented
- Able to adapt and thrive in a highly complex accounting environment with rapidly changing priorities