Senior Research Associate - In Vitro
Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up using human genomics to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. Our platform uses patient tissue profiling, human genetics, and machine learning to identify new therapeutic gene targets, predict effective drugs, and stratify patient subpopulations for increased clinical success. Verge's approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to identify drugs that dramatically improve patient outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost curve of pharmaceutical development. Verge Genomics is seeking a Senior Research Associate to join our Drug Discovery Team. This position is located in South San Francisco, CA.
What You'll Do...
- Differentiate induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) into neurons, microglia and other cell types in tissue culture
- Generate and maintain stable cell lines
- Design, plan and execute in vitro assays using molecular biology and biochemistry methods
- Screen small molecule compounds in cell culture models
- Gene target validation using methods such as transfection, transduction, with molecular and biochemical methods, including immunocytochemistry and microscopy
- Analyze data using relevant statistical methods and present results to our team
- Contribute and write detailed research project plans and SOPs that guide your and other team members’ laboratory activities
- Evaluate and present data analysis at weekly team meetings on all data they generate
Job Requirements & Technical Competencies Required...
- A BS + 5 years or MS + 3 years (preferred) degree in neuroscience, neuropharmacology, biology, cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry or related scientific discipline
- Prior experience with in vitro cell biology and high-throughput drug screening in support of pharmaceutical development
- Basic understanding of genomic, high-throughput sequencing and high-throughput drug screening methods
- Expertise in mammalian cell cultures, including iPSC maintenance and differentiation, and primary cell lines
- Experience with imaging techniques including immunocytochemistry, light and fluorescence microscopy; prior experience with live cell imaging is a plus
- Prior experience with RNA extraction, qPCR and Western blots is a must
- Experience with data analysis using GraphPad Prism, SPSS, SAS, or Excel, and has a general knowledge of statistical analysis
- Good communication skills and ability to collaborate across multidisciplinary scientific discovery settings
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and free lunch.