Director/Senior Director, Drug Discovery
Organovo Inc. is an early-stage biotechnology company that is developing and utilizing highly customized 3D human tissues as dynamic models of healthy and diseased human biology for drug discovery and development.
We use proprietary technology to build functional 3D human tissues that mimic key aspects of native human tissue composition, architecture, function, and disease. Our advances include cell-type-specific compartments, prevalent intercellular tight junctions, and the formation of microvascular structures. We believe these attributes can enable critical complex, multicellular disease models, that we will use to develop clinically effective drugs for selected therapeutic areas.
The Director/Sr. Director leads the drug discovery and development strategy for assigned programs. Organovo leverages innovative techniques for drug discovery including utilization of 3D approaches and emerging translational science for target identification, validation, and selection. The Director/Sr. Director will work with a cross-functional team of internal and external thought leaders to select targets and compounds as well as define development strategies and execute IND enabling studies to advance Organovo’s portfolio of therapeutics into the clinic.
- Direct and control the activities of therapeutic area teams with overall responsibility for the advancement of assigned programs.
- Drive collaborations with internal groups, external partners, including CROs and academia for tissue procurement, sample handling, and data generation.
- Lead internal research teams and provide oversight and support of assigned projects and programs.
- Apply skillsets in molecular and cell biology to contribute to multiple programs in drug discovery.
- Apply skillsets in translational science to develop a roadmap and tactical execution plan for IND enabling studies.
- As an influencer, this leader will define rigorous go/no go decisions with a focus on a hypothesis-driven, genetic, biomarker, and metabolomics-based methodology.
- Manage budgets for assigned programs
- PhD advanced degree
- 8-10 years experience within industry in drug discovery and development with a proven track record of advancing compounds through discovery and into the clinic
- Industry drug discovery and/or development experience in Gastroenterology and/or GI Inflammatory Diseases is preferred
- Knowledge and appreciation of the Gastroenterology landscape related to existing and emerging scientific insights and opportunities, unmet medical needs
- Knowledge of, and experience with gastrointestinal physiology, immunology, and enteric nervous system
Management and Leadership Qualifications:
- Proven track record as a Team Leader with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results
- Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data, verbally and in writing
- Strong judge of talent with the ability to make tough talent decisions
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company
- Connections and relationships with key opinion leaders in the field of GI disease is preferred
- Ability to distill complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms
- Embraces and demonstrates diversity and inclusion
- Overall ability to plan, defend and implement a budget capable of delivering needed results
- Effectively navigates the changing external and internal environment and leads others through change by creating an inspiring and engaging workplace
- High-level negotiation skills and the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner