Sr. Director, Platelet & Plasma Biology
Cerus is looking for a talented scientific leader who is interested in a critical and highly visible role to join our team. The successful candidate will be driving top priority projects, including new product development and business continuity.
The successful candidate will direct and coordinate the activities of staff in the research and development of the INTERCEPT Platelet and Plasma platform products, projects, and programs. Apply plasma coagulation and/or platelet physiology subject matter expertise and leadership to support both new product development and commercial sustaining initiatives. Support laboratory operations ensuring proper support of projects, and compliance with company policies, safety regulations and quality standards.
- Lead or participate in new product development, product improvement, and ongoing sustaining projects for commercial INTERCEPT products.
- Oversee platelet and plasma biology department deliverables and ensure staffing, employee development, training and performance management requirements are met.
- Direct day-to-day activities of staff to meet corporate objectives. Provide and solicit feedback on key results and performance. Motivate employees to fulfill their obligations and inspire them to want to achieve results.
- Develop strategies in collaboration with others to ensure effective achievement of scientific and business objectives as they relate to R&D and sustaining initiatives.
- Identify issues and control risks involved which may delay products/projects while recommending appropriate actions to be taken to ensure accomplishment of specific milestones, timeline(s), and budget(s).
- Serve as technical expert on project teams and external collaborations, including engagements with customers and other external parties as a representative of the company in area of expertise.
- Function as study director in designing, conducting, and analyzing own experiments and, potentially, those performed at other sites.
- Author and support applicable sections of regulatory submissions to global health authorities.
- Develop, validate, and implement new assays and technologies to maintain and expand state of the art organizational capabilities.
- Responsible for coagulation and platelet function portions of the Cerus R&D laboratory.
- Ensure employees in the group are provided required lab related training and ensure the accuracy and integrity of documentation and records.
- Participate in all human resources activities of the department (staffing, performance management and employee development).
- Mentor subordinates and peers.
- Develop and ensure budget requirements are met.
- Represent the company with presentations and participation at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientific affairs in peer reviewed publications and grant writing.
- Promote and help intellectual property efforts.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Doctorate with 12 years industry experience in plasma coagulation and/or platelet physiology or related scientific areas, or Master’s Degree with 16 years relevant experience.
- Previous management experience with demonstrated organizational and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make effective decisions in a complex environment involving trade-offs and risk-benefit assessments.
- Ability to influence upwardly by working with department heads and senior management.
- Ability to drive clear strategies that are aligned with corporate goals and long-term company vision.
- Ability to leverage technical expertise and input from others to identify critical issues and make strategic recommendations.
- Experience in supporting a GLP facility and ensuring compliance with ISO Standards and other regulatory and safety requirements.
- Familiarity with GMP regulations and regulatory submission processes.
- Proficient in writing and reviewing reports, regulatory submission deliverables, and publications.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interface at all levels, both internally and externally (encompasses verbal, written, interpersonal, listening).
- Working knowledge of blood banking practices desired.