Associate Scientist – Antibody Discovery
Join an exciting venture-backed startup in San Carlos with a novel drug discovery platform. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact as you support a cutting-edge platform that integrates epitope diversity, biological activity, comprehensive knowledge bases and machine learning to produce best-in-class antibody therapeutics.
Located in San Carlos, RubrYc Therapeutics was founded to revolutionize traditional approaches to therapeutic antibody discovery. Our core mission is to continually innovate at the intersection of biology and data science to produce best-in-class therapeutics. Driven by information, RubrYc designs and deploys proprietary Meso Scale Engineered Molecules (MEMs), which recapitulate the structural and molecular dynamics of specific epitopes within a target antigen. By aggregating laboratory measured interaction data with structural simulation, deep learning and proprietary algorithms, we gain unprecedented insights into the interfaces of antibodies and their targets.
The Position: Associate Scientist – Antibody Discovery
RubrYc’s epitope-selective antibody discovery platform is currently being used to identify bio-superiors, and to target “undruggable” target classes. This Associate Scientist will be a key member of RubrYc’s antibody discovery team. The successful applicant will use Molecular Biology techniques for making antibody libraries, expression constructs for antibodies, performing the workflow for transfection and purification of antibodies and their Bioanalytical characterization.
- Assembly and production of antibody libraries using standard cloning techniques
- Bioanalytical characterization of antibodies using SPR and ELISA.
- Preparation of next-gen and Sanger sequencing samples
- Antibody expression in bacterial and mammalian expression systems
- Document and organize data in ELN
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate should have a BS or MS with at least 2-3 years of industry experience related to protein discovery
- Familiarity with standard cloning techniques such as assembly PCR and ligation
- Familiarity with biophysical techniques for measuring binding affinity – such as ELISA and/or SPR
- Familiarity with use of flow cytometry for characterization of binding
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and oral/written communication skills with ability to thrive in a goal driven team environment is required.
- Familiarity with next-gen sequencing
The candidate must be highly innovative, energetic and willing to take calculated risks. He or she will bring a creative, innovative energy to the team and contribute to the cross-disciplinary thought leadership RubrYc has established. The candidate must be comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup.
- Ability to work in a collegial manner, a team player
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in an inter disciplinary environment
- Go-getter self-starter who can take initiative
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly tolerant and respectful of all members of a small startup company
- Focused and goal-oriented, yet flexible enough to deal with unanticipated challenges and opportunities
- Pro-active and positive attitude to thrive in a start-up environment
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate of a young startup in Silicon Valley, plus meaningful stock option allocations and benefits.
Corporate Culture at RubrYc
We are a small venture-backed startup. The company environment is friendly and informal, and non-hierarchical. Our corporate culture is rigorous science and innovation, and we believe in continuous growth and learning. We strive for excellence in performance and quality of work, and at the same time, we believe in maintaining a healthy work/life balance.