Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist, Protein Sciences
Pionyr Immunotherapeutics is a growing, well-funded clinical stage South San Francisco-based immuno-oncology company focused on novel approaches to generate anti-tumor immunity. We are seeking a highly experienced, motivated and committed scientific leader with significant hands-on experience with expression and purification of recombinant proteins and monoclonal antibodies. The successful candidate will lead a team responsible for the design, purification and biophysical and biochemical characterization of antibodies and recombinant proteins and will also manage work performed through CROs. This will be primarily a lab-based scientist position with management responsibility.
Responsibilities include but not limited to
- Lead the innovation, design, quality control, and delivery of candidate therapeutic antibodies and reagent proteins for Pionyr’s research programs.
- Manage the Protein Sciences team by providing leadership, effectively prioritizing and organizing workload, and providing mentorship to team members, which include RAs and Associate Scientists.
- Manage molecular biology activities including designing and optimizing protein expression constructs and engineering novel reagent formats
- Protein expression of recombinant proteins and antibodies in multiple expression systems (mammalian, insect, E.coli)
- Protein purification using a variety of methods including affinity, ion exchange, size-exclusion chromatography.
- Biophysical characterization of proteins using CE-SDS, HPLC, DLS, and SPR-based methods.
- Trouble-shoot and optimize protein expression and purification strategies, perform complex experiments with strong attention to detail and documentation.
- Work with project teams to coordinate protein needs of early and mid-stage projects; serving as technical expert for protein engineering and protein sciences in order to support multiple drug candidate projects
- Maintain a workflow for protein production and an inventory of reagents.
- Manage CRO activities (DNA synthesis, plasmid generation, DNA production, protein production and purification) and identify CROs for analytical methods as needed (LC-MS/peptide mapping etc).
- Develop and execute experimental plans in timelines to meet program and corporate research objectives
- Excellent written and oral communication with cross-disciplinary teams and with external parties.
- Record detailed experimental procedures in laboratory notebooks and controlled documents
- PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, molecular and cell biology, structural biology or similar, with at least 5-7 years of relevant research experience in an industrial setting.
- Experience with managing technical level staff is preferred.
- Familiar with lab and manufacturing scale mammalian cell, E.coli, yeast, or insect cell expression systems.
- Expertise in protein biochemistry and molecular biology skills designing plasmid constructs for recombinant protein expression, purification methods, and protein characterization using HPLC, DLS, .
- Experience with SPR-based methods for biophysical characterization of proteins is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with troubleshooting protein expression and protein purification methods.
- Candidate selection developability and stability workflows, and experience with transition to early development
- Demonstrated success in leading and working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Excellent creativity, technical decision-making, and trouble shooting skills.
- Knowledge of lab software systems along with searching for literature, patents and analyzing sequences.
- Familiarity with protein crystallization, protein structure visualization and modelling software suites would be advantageous.
- Have a record of published work and of presentation at conferences.
- Proven ability to provide leadership to technical level staff
Pionyr Immunotherapeutics Inc. offers competitive salaries, participation in company stock-incentive plans and benefits packages, in addition to a dynamic academic-driven science environment. If you would like to be part of a team-based and collaborative company developing innovative immuno-oncology therapeutics, please send your resume.
Thank you for your interest in Pionyr Immunotherapeutics. We are an equal opportunity employer.