Executive Director - Data Analysis - Science & Technology
Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P 500® urban office REIT, is the first and longest-tenured owner, operator, and developer uniquely focused on collaborative life science, technology and agtech campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. The company has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science, technology, and agtech campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For more information, please visit www.are.com.
Alexandria’s Science and Technology Team supports the company by providing scientific and technical expertise to help guide Alexandria’s three major activities: Venture Capital Investment, Real Estate, and Thought Leadership.
Alexandria’s Venture Investment (AVI) arm acts as the strategic venture capital group within Alexandria Real Estate Equities and helps discover and invest in innovative companies in life sciences, agtech and tech, with associated responsibilities including due diligence and in-depth reviews of potential investments, their areas of focus and respective competitive landscapes, and the strength and level of innovation of their technology platforms. AVI is one of the most active life science and agrifoodtech investors in the U.S.
Real Estate activities include underwriting potential life science, and tech tenants, as well as monitoring of existing tenants through review of financials, scientific milestones, news and press releases, and meetings with management.
Lastly, Thought Leadership activities include preparing for and organizing efforts around the Alexandria Summit, a high-impact event that brings together leading experts and opinion leaders in fields in life sciences, tech, and healthcare to discuss current progress and challenges.
We are seeking a Data Analyst for our Pasadena office. The position will support Alexandria’s Science & Technology team by analyzing Alexandria’s large amount of proprietary data on the life science industry related to our tenant and investment activities, and publicly available data including, but not limited to, VC Funding, government data (i.e. NIH, FDA, CMS) and capital markets. This person will have strong capabilities spanning data collection and processing, data analytics and business intelligence. They will work closely with Alexandria’s IT Business Analytics team, to ensure S&T team’s data is integrated into large enterprise level data warehouse projects.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital or registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran or military status, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Improve large scale data analysis, and direct team towards best technology tools to maximize team efforts and data tracking and analysis
- Activities include defining data requirements, data collection, processing, cleaning, analysis, modeling, and visualization.
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data and to integrate data or applicaitons to enhance business value
- Identify and aggregate data from internal and external sources
- Examine and identify data patterns and trends to help answer business questions and improve decision making and strategy
- Use statistical methods/models to analyze data and generate useful business reports for the Science & Technology Team
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Science & Technology Team to:
- Identify trends in the AVI portfolio and recommend opportunities to leverage proprietary AVI data
- Analyze short and long-term drivers affecting the life science and technology industries
- Provide support for strategic in-depth research studies that require data compilation, analysis, and interpretation
- Use data to create models that depict trends in the life science industry, and amongst Alexandria tenants
- Work collaboratively with the IT Team to:
- Manage requirements elicitation, analysis and documentation processes to capture business and end user needs. Prioritize needs within and across projects based on business impact
- Communicate solution tradeoffs to IT and business partners to frame and influence project decisions
- Engage delivery teams to communicate solution vision and priorities
- Assess the risks of solution options and develop plans to mitigate them
- Provide consultative support and adivce on technology projects led by IT and business partners
- Contribute to management aof central data stores and metadata
- Collaborate with various functional groups across the Company, including Accounting, Finance and Leasing teams on special projects.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Technology, Computer Science, Mathematics or Predictive Analytics; Master’s Degree a plus
- 5+ years in a data analyst role
- Strong knowledge of data analysis and usage requirements
- Ability to guide solution design and architecture to meet business needs
- User experience in one or more Business Intelligence tools (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, Domo)
- Highly developed critical thinking skills and ability to find valuable data where no one else thought to look
- Ability to create custom reports with visualizations from BI tools such as Tableau, Qlik, or PowerBI
- Ability to clearly present complex findings verbally, visually and in writing
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members across disciplines and in multiple geographic locations
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Some understanding of life science and technology concepts, within the life science industry preferred
- Some understanding of venture capital industry is a plus
- Working knowledge and experience with TSQL scripting is preferred
- Experience managing a small team is a plus
- Ability to work independently and to effectively manage and organize multiple projects concurrently
- Communicate with co-workers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner