Associate Director, Upstream Bioprocess-BioTx
Are you ready to join our mission to fight rare diseases? Do you have a passion to help people have better quality of life? Come be part of the Codexis, Inc. team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins®!
Codexis’s Biotherapeutics division uses our world-leading CodeEvolver® protein engineering platform to discover novel therapies for the treatment of genetic disorders and other debilitating disease. We engineer proteins with high efficacy and safety with the goal of delivering the therapeutic to patients as an enzyme replacement, mRNA, or gene therapy.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
To help us meet our goals we are looking to hire an Associate Director to lead the Biotherapeutics Upstream Bioprocess Development team. In this role you will leverage your technical expertise and leadership skills to lead upstream process development and scale up of recombinant protein productions of biotherapeutic enzymes. You will have the opportunities to lead and grow a group of talented scientists focused on developing robust upstream processes ready for tech transfer to CDMOs. Additionally, you will participate and be a critical management team member to build value for Codexis through development of biotherapeutic assets.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you!
- Are you excited to be part of a team that translates scientific discovery into commercial reality?
- Do you thrive in a fast-paced yet collaborative and supportive team environment?
- Would you enjoy leading a small team of process engineers and research associates to enable team success?
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to the Biotherapeutics Upstream Process Development group focused on the development of BDS manufacturing processes.
- Interact with Drug Discovery and CMC team leaders to allocate resources and develop timelines for the biotherapeutic project teams.
- Oversee the design, execution, and analysis of process development efforts across the portfolio of projects.
- Review technology transfer packages, development reports, and regulatory filings.
- Work with CMC teams to transfer processes to biologics CDMOs and serve as upstream subject matter expert (SME) in facility fit and technology transfer assessments.
- Manage multiple project timelines and communicate project status and challenges to key stakeholders in a concise and timely manner.
- Drive the development of new technologies and platforms to improve upstream development workflows
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- A Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering or a related field with at least 5-10 years relevant industrial experience in upstream process development.
- High level of self-motivation, initiative, and creativity.
- Thorough understanding of basic microbial physiology and protein biochemistry.
- Practical knowledge of process engineering and plant operations including unit operations involved in primary recovery of recombinant proteins and understanding of engineering issues involved in process scale-up.
- Implementation of scale down models to support process development.
- Demonstrated technology transfer and manufacturing experience with large scale microbial bioprocesses.
- Demonstrated success in management of scientific staff. Must be committed to fostering growth of mentees within supportive work environment.
- Experience with project management and demonstrated experience of leading projects from start to finish.
- Knowledge of cGMP and regulatory requirements related to biologics manufacturing and controls, including ability to contribute to relevant CMC sections of regulatory filings, is highly desirable
- A track record of detail-oriented, thorough, and diligent experimental design, data analysis and document review.
- Experience in experiment design (DOE) and statistical analysis of technical data.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely through written, and verbal formats.
- Able to work effectively in cross functional teams to solve manufacturing problems and implement improved procedures.
- Experience in upstream process development/manufacturing from mammalian cell culture systems is also highly desirable
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits your first day
- 100% match on 401k (up to 4% of salary)
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.