Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Verge Genomics is a well-funded venture backed biopharmaceutical company located in South San Francisco, CA. Verge’s focus is the development of the next generation of medicines against neurodegenerative disease. We start by building large proprietary databases of patient tissue, which captures human disease complexity over traditional animal models. We combine this with human genetics to discover novel gene targets; we de-risk these human-derived targets in patient-derived neurons to generate first-in-class molecules. By taking an “all-in-human” approach that begins and ends in patients, we believe we can increase the probability of success in drug discovery.
- Reporting to the Head of Medicinal Chemistry, the Associate Director will be a major player in the identification of new therapeutic targets and the discovery of the pharmaceuticals to modulate these targets.
- The Associate Director will drive the process from the identification of novel chemical matter through optimization of the lead chemical series, to nomination of development candidates.
- They will participate on the Development Team that will advance the new therapy through IND into clinical studies.
- This individual will have a PhD in organic synthetic chemistry or bioorganic chemistry with 5-10 years of experience as a medicinal chemist in a mid-size to major pharmaceutical company.
- They will have experience leading at least one medicinal chemistry project team directed towards a CNS therapeutic agent.
- They will have experience with CADD modeling software
- Experience managing an outsourced chemistry effort and consultants is a plus.
- A track record of peer-reviewed publications and patents is a requirement.
- This position requires location in the Bay Area.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and free lunch.