Staff Scientist, Chemistry
STAFF SCIENTIST, CHEMISTRY
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts the synthesis of complex target molecules; Designs viable synthetic routes and performs literature searches in support of research; Troubleshoots scientific experiments and proposes solutions; independently analyzes and interprets scientific data
- Maintains a current understanding of the synthetic organic chemistry literature and methodology, as well as the scientific literature related to medicinal chemistry and drug discovery
- Expert in applying contemporary modern techniques of computer & structure guided drug design, structure-activity relationships, and medicinal chemistry principles in the proposal and execution of chemistry strategies
- Consistently generates new ideas that address issues of potency, selectivity, ADMET.
- Effectively communicates strategies to chemistry and project teams; leads chemistry and project team discussions to achieve consensus
- Maintains productive relationship with cross functional colleagues in Biology, DMPK, and Toxicology.
- Attends and presents work at scientific meetings
- Contributes to company's intellectual property domain and to the authorship of scientific manuscripts, sometimes as principal author
- Provides guidance to junior members of the department; May supervise the activities of interns, contractors, RA level chemists and/or Ph.D. scientists.
- Keeps an accurate, comprehensible, concise notebook
- Ph.D. in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry and 10+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated expertise in modern synthetic organic and analytical methods
- Outstanding record of accomplishment as evidenced by the quality and quantity of publications and patents.
- Demonstrated independent thought and creativity in medicinal chemistry. Technical proficiency. Successful collaborative skills. Has demonstrated success in coordinating and executing research to further corporate goals. Reputation as a leader has clearly emerged.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Fit with GBT culture:
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Values-based leadership consistent with GBT's Core Values
- Excitement about the vision and mission of GBT
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Global Blood Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.