MSC is searching for a a Laboratory Manager to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is full-time with MSC and it is on-site in Bethesda, Maryland.Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure smooth and efficient running of laboratory operations in a large, fast paced lab by ensuring operational maintenance of bio-safety level 2 (BSL-2) and bio-safety level 3 (BSL-3) laboratory equipment and facilities, troubleshooting equipment failure to determine the best course of action for repair, scheduling and supervising service maintenance of equipment and instruments located in the BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories, recommending and implementing corrective measures to remove hazardous materials or equipment and modifying work processes, ensuring that work practices and procedures comply with required standards and established safety policies and procedures, providing solutions to maximize laboratory space utilization and management, and maintaining equipment service contracts, preparing and presenting annual radiation and BSL-3 refresher courses to all members of the lab, providing training for new laboratory personnel in general laboratory procedures, BSL-3 laboratory procedures, radioactive use, and ensuring that guidelines stipulated in the SOPs are adhered to.
- Plan, organize, and manage the lab's annual Bio-safety Level 3 (BSL-3) laboratory shutdown; serve as the point of contact, working with multiple divisions at NIH in addition to scientific companies to comply with all regulatory standards and to maintain operational maintenance, safety, and efficiency within the BSL-3 laboratory.
- Serve as the authorized user of radioactivity, responsible for the radioactive use of all individual users within the lab.
- Serve as the authorized shipper of dangerous and infectious materials, maintaining certification as regulated by 49-CFR, UN, ICAO, and lATA, responsible for the packaging, paperwork, and permits for all hazardous and infectious material leaving the lab.
- Work with departments as necessary to obtain and maintain all import and export permits.
- Serve as research assistant to several major research projects, spending 20% of his/her time doing routine procedures such as performing growth inhibition assays.
- Perform high throughput screening (HTS) with the BioMek Fx, BioMek NX and Viaflo automated liquid handlers and associated microplate readers against Mycobacterium tuberculosis (M.tb) in the BSL3 laboratory
- Perform a variety of growth inhibition and reporter assays against Mycobacterium tuberculosis (M.tb) in the BSL3 laboratory
- Perform compound metabolism assays against Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Optimize and manage the operation of cellular cytotoxicity assays in HepG2 cells in the BSL2 laboratory
- Perform sophisticated data analysis generated from HTS, and other validation assays using software such as Spotfire and GeneSpring
- Maintain SOPs, service agreements and organization in the HTS BSL3 laboratory
- Manage HTS compound inventory and screening schedules
- BS degree in biological sciences with a focus on molecular biology and/ or microbiology with 5 years of professional experience.
- 2+ years of specialized experience in Biosafety level 3 protocols, procedures, and operations management.
- Experience working with bacterial pathogens, preferably Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Must have experience managing a large laboratory of 3+ researchers.
- Experience shipping dangerous and infectious materials and experience working with radioactivity desired.
- Computer proficiency is required.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.