Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemist
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol Myers Squibb is hiring for our Redwood City, CA
Medicinal Chemist – Senior Scientist
We are seeking exceptionally talented and highly motivated synthetic/medicinal chemists who are passionate about joining our fast-paced medicinal chemistry group in the pursuit of discovering innovative therapies. The candidate will be an expert in the field of organic synthesis and have hands on experience with a wide range of modern synthetic transformations. The candidate will have demonstrated an ability to design new synthetic targets independently and in a hypothesis-driven manner based on emerging SAR data. She/he is able to design and execute efficient synthetic routes to these target molecules. Knowledge in E3 ligase and UPS biology and chemistry is a plus as protein homeostasis is one of the fundamental research engines at BMS delivering therapeutics to patients. Not being bound by therapeutic modality creates a very dynamic, exciting and creative environment where the successful chemist will interface with an excellent team of scientists in biology, biochemistry, structural biology, computational biology and translational development.
- Ph.D. with 2-4 years postgraduate experience.
- M.S. degree with 4--7 years or a B. S. degree with 7-10 years of external research experience.
- Demonstrated record of productivity in organic or medicinal chemistry research as evidenced by publications and/or patents.
- Independent, creative target design and high level of synthetic productivity applying modern synthetic methods with strong chemistry problem-solving skills are required.
- A strong commitment to experimental work is expected, demonstrated by an ability to carry out multi-step syntheses and state-of-the art purifications, with spectroscopic characterizations of novel organic compounds (NMR, LC-MS, HPLC, etc.).
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in synthesis, purification, and characterization of novel compounds
- Proficient with SciFinder, Chemdraw, and other medicinal chemistry-related software.
- Strong skills in gathering, documenting, and analyzing information from competitive sources such as patents and meetings and using this information to guide program strategy.
- Emerging understanding of the drug discovery and development process.
- A naturally collaborative and self-motivated style is necessary to work effectively in a fast-paced, highly integrated team environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrated ability to write peer reviewed quality work or invention disclosures for patent applications, and able to present the rationale, key data, issues and accomplishments department wide.
Fit with BMS Culture and Values
- Diversity, inclusion and integrity
- Strong team orientation; highly collaborative
- Solutions and results-oriented focus
- Hands-on approach; resourceful and open to diverse points of view
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.