Scientist (Biological Sciences) - Pain Research
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
Allergan Aesthetics R&D, Biological Research is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Scientist/ In vivo pharmacologist in Pain research who will lead efforts to design, execute, and communicate novel multi-disciplinary research in a highly collaborative discovery program. Primary responsibilities of the successful candidate will be to conduct in vivo studies for the pharmacological evaluation of novel compounds and biologics, as well as to steer the development of approaches for target engagement in animal models of pathological pain. He/She will also lead the development of new animal models representative of human chronic pain, including but not limited to neuropathic and inflammatory pain. The person should be a highly motivated, hands-on experimentalist/bench-scientist who is also capable to leading scientific projects and thriving in a multidisciplinary environment. Emphasis is on the ability to successfully perform hands-on work and lead discovery projects with minimal supervision, demonstrate scientific leadership skills and interact in a team environment.
All work activities for this position are conducted in compliance with AbbVie's internal and applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements, and objectives.
- Design experimental strategies and execute on them as an independent contributor or within a team
- Research and understand relevant target/disease biology; design and implement experimentation to validate hypotheses.
- Train and mentor research associates when appropriate
- Generate detailed and accurate reports of study outcomes, prepare presentations, and represent the group to cross-functional teams.
- Maintain awareness of current developments in the field through comprehensive reading and analysis of the literature and attendance at appropriate scientific meetings.
- Understand the competitive landscape and participate in the review and analysis of outside opportunities.
- In vivo evaluation (behavior) of novel therapeutics to treat pain-related disorders.
- Develop translatable animal models. Formulate and administer novel therapeutics to rats and mice.
- Innovative thinking, adaptable, and creative to move the science forward in new directions.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for effectively progressing pain related compounds through preclinical evaluation in an exciting, fast-paced team environment.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience, biology, or other relevant natural sciences with experience in pain research, 1+ years of postdoctoral or industry experience preferred.
- Hands-on experience in the laboratory working with rodents is required.
- Experience in small animal models of pain is required.
- Experience with small animal surgeries particularly neuropathic pain model induction is required.
- Experience with histological, molecular (e.g., RNA isolation and biomarker quantification by RT-PCR) or ex vivo techniques would be an asset.
- Ability to contribute independently, but also integrate well into a team to work across multiple scientific disciplines and functions.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities by influencing discussions on scientific questions and has shown expertise in advancing neuroscience related projects.
- Ability to independently generate precise, reliable, and reproducible data in a timely manner.
- Motivated to take on additional responsibilities to progress career.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative scientific environment with strong communication skills.
- Experience in drug discovery is a plus.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.