The EH&S Specialist is responsible for environmental, health, and safety (EHS) programs and compliance for the Hayward and the future Brisbane sites with 300+ employees conducting research activities, utilities/support, and administrative activities. This role will manage EH&S programs and influence site leadership to assure regulatory compliance, achieve continuous performance improvement, and integrate EH&S performance objectives into standard work processes. Developing strategies to achieve these goals in alignment with site business goals and values is key.
- Identify, document, and reduce potential workplace hazards, including accident investigation, through corrective actions and making recommendations to management.
- Provide program specific and general EH&S training, including New Hire Orientation for employees.
- Serve on the Emergency Response Team requiring periodic 24 hour on-call availability
- Establish a positive rapport with staff, scientists, and management to ensure a high level of customer service and serve as a primary point of contact.
- Manage the Hazardous Waste Management Program and general compliance, as defined by the Code of Federal Regulations, the Community Right to Know Act, the Toxic Substances Control Act and the Federal Hazardous Substance Act.
- Identification, development and tracking of service level metrics to drive continuing improvement and efficiency of processes and procedures.
- Ensure timely completion, submission, and documentation for various licensing, permitting, inspection and training requirements for the programs identified above.
- Identify and categorize hazardous wastes (chemical, biological and other) generated
- Supervise contingent workforce support as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree required, concentration in Environmental or Safety related technical discipline preferred.
- 2+ years’ EHS Experience, preferability in Biotech or Pharma Research industry
- Experience in laboratory safety, biosafety, chemical safety, and occupational safety
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Suite
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and influencing skills
- Able to handle multiple priorities and perform effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Work productively with others at various technical and management levels.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations.
- Be able to wear different types of respiratory protection as needed.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the role; standing, kneeling, ability to lift up to 40 pounds, move, and pull 25 pounds etc.
Arcus Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer.