Associate Director - Gene Therapy Research
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
Job Description Summary
Gene therapy specialist with high-level of scientific expertise in Gene Editing and people management. Responsible for the delivery of gene therapy candidates through a research project pipeline. The incumbent will work closely with the Director, Head of Gene Therapy Research and other CSL colleagues to set project objectives and to implement key scientific/technical strategies within the global CSL research organization. As Associate Director/Senior Principal Scientist, the incumbent will lead a dedicated team to achieve specified research project objectives within defined time parameters.
- Provide expert and authoritative scientific advice to group / project team members in gene therapy technologies including genetics, gene editing, CRISPR systems, NGS technologies and translational research to advance gene therapy candidates toward clinical testing
- Maintain high-level awareness of key scientific/technical strategies and innovative technological developments in Gene editing
- Maintain and build CSL’s research profile within academic and industry contacts
Management & Leadership:
- Provide leadership, technical know-how, support and motivation to relevant program/project teams.
- Build commitment to program/project objectives and common goals, setting standards for self and others.
- Be highly organized and capable of managing/pursuing multiple projects
- Directly manage a team of up to 5 MS, PhD level scientists
- Work to develop overall competency of team members, encouraging learning and development opportunities.
- Contribute to an environment that fosters innovation and calculated risk-taking within the program/project team members.
- Develop close working relationships with cross-functional departments and integrate key program/project team members in relevant expert area.
- When required, lead and manage research projects as a “Project Scientific Coordinator (PSC)”.
- PhD in Genetics or Molecular Biology, or related discipline with extensive experience in relevant industry and / or academic environments (essential).
- Record of scientific excellence demonstrated by publication of scientific work and actual industry project work experience (essential).
- Extensive background in gene therapy technologies (including gene editing, non-viral gene delivery, and NGS) (essential).
- Experience with LVV/AAV/AV gene therapy platforms will be highly regarded.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills (listening, verbal, written).
- Ability to influence without authority and inspire team members.
- Position located at Pasadena
- Travel domestic and internationally when required (15%)