Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
Founded in 2017 within Flagship Labs, Cellarity brings a new approach to drug discovery based on the computational modeling of cell behavior that leads to a more complete understanding of system and network biology and allows us to uncover cell-behavior-targeted medicines for a wide variety of diseases. Cellarity is generating unprecedented biological insights by leveraging its unique combination of expertise in single-cell and network biology, high-resolution data and machine learning. The result is a new understanding of the cell’s trajectory from health to disease, how cells relate to one another in healthy vs diseased tissues and identification of disease driving gene networks that when specifically targeted may have the ability to reverse the disease phenotype of the cell. Because the cell and its network of transcripts and proteins offer a far more complete view of the complexity of human biology than any individual molecular target, Cellarity’s approach is designed to enable more efficient drug discovery and to drive higher rates of clinical success. Already the company has seven drug discovery programs underway in diverse therapeutic areas that range from metabolic disease to immuno-oncology.
Cellarity recently raised $123 million in Series B financing. The round included contributions from funds and accounts managed by BlackRock, The Baupost Group, Banque Pictet on behalf of their clients and eight other investors alongside Flagship Pioneering. This successful financing round validates the strength of Cellarity’s science and its potential to redefine drug discovery through its cell-centric approach.
Cellarity is seeking a highly motivated and innovative Principal Scientist with expertise in the field of medicinal chemistry to play a vital role in the company’s efforts to validate novel discovery approaches based on cell behavior. The candidate will be working under the supervision of the Director of Chemistry and will be responsible for establishing robust molecule design methods and design novel molecules in collaboration with Machine Learning (ML) and Biology teams, to therapeutically manipulate healthy and diseased cell states. The successful candidate may lead/co-lead 1-2 discovery programs, and will work closely with members of Cellarity’s AI, biology, technology, and pharmacology groups, to rapidly advance discovery programs within our discovery portfolio. They will be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The ideal candidate must be independent, results oriented, with excellent communication skills and be willing to work in a highly dynamic and fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Co-lead exploratory and discovery teams to deliver development and clinical candidates.
- Devise strategies to identify lead molecules and optimize them to target multiple cellular pathways/mechanisms.
- Design novel compounds with clear hypotheses for improved activity and properties; utilize relevant tools to assist in design, seek literature to support hypotheses.
- Contribute in an impactful manner to compound design and synthetic routes identification for portfolio projects.
- Develop medicinal chemistry strategies to improve drug-likeness, ADME/DMPK, and safety properties of molecules.
- Create and execute strategy to protect and expand intellectual property.
- Closely interact with external chemistry CROs and stakeholders within and outside Cellarity
- Work closely with computational chemistry, AI and ML teams to implement relevant predictive models to aid in new design.
- PhD in synthetic organic chemistry, with at least 5-7 years industry experience as a medicinal chemist.
- Experience in leading projects and driving programs from initiation through lead optimization phase to clinical lead selection.
- Demonstrated synthetic and medicinal chemistry skills through high quality publications and patents.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strengths in the following areas: creativity, problem-solving, and managing relationships within a matrix project team environment (internal/external partners).
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in cross-functional teams with an emphasis on teamwork, collaboration, and communication within team and across the department.
- Adept at utilizing computational chemistry tools and structure-based drug design principles for lead identification and optimization.
- Drug discovery experience in multiple therapeutic areas.