Director, Medicinal Chemistry
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Medicinal Chemist – Director, Medicinal Chemistry (M.S. / B.S. / Ph.D.)
We are seeking a highly motivated and independent drug discovery expert with a proven track record of delivering innovative clinical assets to join our medicinal chemistry group in Redwood City. The successful candidate will lead and develop a group of talented medicinal chemists and support the future grow of this team. The individual will be accountable for delivering a portfolio of pre-clinical oncology discovery projects driven by a range of modern drug modalities and will be expected to collaborate to build an innovative drug discovery pipeline. You will be expected to directly lead drug discovery programs and guide other programs through leaders in your team to deliver against milestone targets in the Tumor Microenvironment Thematic Research Center. Furthermore, you will also collaborate with a broad group of scientists within the BMS Small Molecule Drug Discovery group to advance the projects from inception to clinical proof of concept.
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 15+ years pharmaceutical medicinal chemistry industrial experience or
- M.S. in synthetic organic chemistry with 20+ years pharmaceutical medicinal chemistry industrial experience or
- B.S. in synthetic organic chemistry with 25+ years pharmaceutical medicinal chemistry industrial experience
- Strong proficiency in fundamental aspects of drug discovery and demonstrated ability to advance drug discovery programs are required
- Track record of innovation and impact on programs documented through co-inventorship on issued patents and authorship of publications in peer-reviewed journals is necessary (may include both successful advances and smart terminations)
- Strong working knowledge of protein-ligand interactions, conformational and structural analysis, experienced in partnering closely with computational chemists through appropriate use of computational tools, models and visualization applications
- Ability to champion chemistry efforts into new directions to achieve project milestones
- Strong skills in gathering, documenting, and analyzing information from competitive sources such as patents and meetings and using this information to guide program strategy
- Passion for identifying new drug targets to build and maintain a productive drug discovery pipeline.
- Proven leadership capability in cross-functional teams, either as project team leader or co-lead
- Proven track record of leading leaders and supervising PhD level scientists to high levels of productivity, whilst improving the skills and knowledge of direct reports through mentorship and focused development activities
- Excellent communication skills and able to present the rationale, key data, issues and accomplishments of the chemistry efforts to other members of the R&ED organization
Fit with BMS Culture and Values
- Diversity and inclusion
- Strong team orientation; highly collaborative
- Solutions and results-oriented focus
- Hands-on approach; resourceful and open to diverse points of view
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.