Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Create a world-class research platform. You'll work with Data Scientists, Biologists, and Automation Scientists in building a platform for generating and storing petabytes of data, iterating quickly on novel analyses, and rapidly prototyping new deep learning models
- Build, scale, and operate a streaming data pipeline. You'll be on a team responsible for moving, processing, and analyzing over 60 terabytes of new biological data each week.
- Build relatability into a heterogeneous dataset. At Recursion, we generate datasets based on a wide swath of diverse biological models and treatment approaches. You'll work with Data Scientists to build relatability and queryability into these datasets so they can be used in five years to answer the sorts of questions we haven't even thought of asking yet.
- Provide visibility into operations. You'll create tools, dashboards, and metrics to help lab operations keep track of the quality and timeliness of the data they generate, grant early insight into the quality of proposed experiments, and track the provenance of key drug development decisions.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth within and beyond the team.
The Analysis Platform team currently comprises four data engineers, working closely with several data scientists to build out a computational platform on which to run arbitrary analysis code at scale. This team works on problems involving distributed computing and evented systems, operating computational pipelines integrated with events and operations in a high-throughput laboratory.
The Machine Infrastructure team currently comprises five software engineers. Their responsibilities are twofold. First, operate and maintain the current data pipeline that receives, uploads, indexes, and processes the raw data into various aggregated or featurized forms for use downstream by other Engineers and Data Scientists. Second, work to iteratively transform the pipeline into a platform to enable and empower downstream Engineers and Data Scientists to define their own pipelines and data processing.
On either team, you’ll be moving through a number of services, working with RESTful APIs, event streaming, and third-party integrations, building out tooling to provide easy and flexible access to petabytes of data, events for triggering computation or tracking state, and automated visibility into the progress of stakeholder data pipelines. You'll seek and provide feedback, making tradeoffs as you go to get to the right solution with the right amount of effort.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Experience programming in projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple systems and involving diverse technologies.
- Experience collaborating to complete large projects. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- A people-first mindset. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- A drive to deliver well tested and instrumented code that can be continuously deployed in small impactful chunks.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs**
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.