Senior Associate Scientist
We are seeking a chemical engineer to join Chemical Research and Development (CRD) team in Groton as part of the Crystallization Technology Team. The successful candidate will join a diverse team responsible for developing robust scalable processes for use at pilot-plant and commercial scale. They will apply chemical engineering principles, computational modeling approaches, and lab-scale experimental techniques to gain process understanding and to optimize the crystallization processes for safety, efficiency, and robustness.
CRD, as part of Worldwide R&D in Pharmaceutical Sciences, is responsible for the development of process technology to manufacture active pharmaceutical ingredient’s (API). CRD scientists engage in all facets of development from small-scale synthesis in support of medicinal chemistry programs, to the development of the commercial synthetic route. CRD chemists and engineers collaborate with manufacturing specialists for API production in kilo-lab and pilot plant facilities, as well as provide support for technology transfer to Pfizer manufacturing sites and third-party facilities.
The successful candidate, working closely with chemists and analysts, will complete crystallization engineering activities to help identify optimal technology (batch, semi-batch, continuous) and process operating conditions. They will support technology transfer and scale up of the developed process in our pilot plant and commercial manufacturing facilities. Given the dynamic team environment and fast-paced project timelines, strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential. The candidate will also advance both computational tools and experimental techniques to enhance the group’s efficiency for developing future projects while gaining additional process insights.
- Apply chemical engineering principles, computational modeling tools, and experimental skills using data-rich laboratory instrumentation to develop robust crystallization processes and improve process understanding.
- Apply an understanding of large-scale manufacturing equipment capabilities and operations to assess scalability and robustness for API processes
- Support technology transfer of processes to internal Pfizer Global Supply (PGS) API manufacturing facilities and external suppliers. May spend time at the PGS launch site supporting process validation and Pre-Approval Inspection (PAI) activities.
- Prepare internal research reports and technical presentations summarizing API process development activities to capture process knowledge and transfer process understanding to PGS.
- Champion the development of novel laboratory instrumentation and computational modeling tools to improve process understanding. Support the development and implementation of new and existing workflows and methodologies.
- Working with team members with expertise in process modelling and in statistics, design and execute Design of Experiments (DoE) methodology using automated lab reactor systems. Use data from these experiments to understand the kinetic and thermodynamic factors impacting crystallization, filtration, and drying.
- Maintain laboratory area and equipment in clean, safe, functional order.
- Independently plan and perform work assignments, interpret and present data.
- Comply with safety and regulatory requirements is expected and documented through the internal training program.
- MS in Chemical Engineering or BS in Chemical Engineering with 2-4 years of experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills
- Ability to perform complex data analysis and work in a team environment
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues, plan and carry out experiments independently, and work with complex instrumentation and software
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and computer skills
- Strong knowledge of chemical engineering principles including crystallization kinetics, reaction kinetics, reactor design, chemical thermodynamics, heat and mass transport, engineering statistics, process modeling and simulation.
- Working knowledge of reaction modeling, property prediction, and simulation computational tools including: DynoChem, VisiMix, Aspen, and COSMOtherm
- Working knowledge of analytical techniques such as HPLC/UPLC, MS, PXRD, DSC, TGA, and NMR
- Experience in automating laboratory equipment and processes including use of LabView
- Experience using automated lab reactor systems
- Working knowledge of application of in-situ analysis tools to process understanding including: FTIR, FBRM, UV/Vis
- A good foundationalunderstanding of organic chemistry
Ability to work in a laboratory environment performing experiments in a laboratory fume hood. Ability to perform complex data analysis
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Some travel associated with technology transfer to CRD pilot plant and PGS new product launch site may be required.
Relocation support available
#LI-PFESunshine ActPfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.EEO & Employment EligibilityPfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development#LI-PFE