Senior Director, Rare Neuroscience
Pfizer’s Rare Disease Research Unit (RDRU) is focused on delivering therapies that fundamentally transform what it means to live with a rare disease, including rare neurological diseases. As a senior member of the RDRU, the Senior Director of Rare Neuroscience will lead a team of laboratory-based scientists, and closely partner within the RDRU, partner lines and external opinion leaders, to ideate and develop therapeutic candidates for rare neurological diseases. This includes the identification and validation of novel targets for drug discovery and disease/target related biomarkers using data-driven decisions.
The Senior Director of Rare Neuroscience should have a significant depth of knowledge in the field of neurology and CNS drug delivery in a variety of therapeutic modalities and diseases. Self-motivation, commitment to scientific excellence, strong written and oral communication skills, the openness to partner effectively with internal/external leaders, and the ability to lead, mentor and work as part of a team are essential qualities of the role.
- Provide strong leadership, management and mentorship to a group of scientists to ideate and deliver novel clinical candidates for the treatment of rare neurological diseases using different technology platforms that are available at Pfizer. These include small molecules, biologics and nucleic acids-based technologies.
- This experienced scientific leader will be expected to develop a scientific portfolio in rare neurology that is recognized as a leader in its field by driving and responding to rapidly breaking science and evolving global healthcare demands.
- Create an environment that values employee development, innovative thinking, scientific excellence, accountability and urgency.
- Partner closely within the RDRU and other disciplines of integrated drug discovery and development, especially Medicinal Design, Pharmacokinetics and Drug Disposition, Drug Safety, Regulatory, and Early Clinical Development to develop therapeutic strategies and generate translational pre-clinical packages for clinical candidates.
- Foster a culture of scientific excellence, innovation and building synergies with various partner lines.
- Responsible for championing and promoting the pipeline of rare neurological diseases under development with internal and external stakeholders through presentations, research publications and patent filings.
- Work with other Therapeutic Area Heads to advise RDRU leadership on program prioritization and valuation of current programs.
- Maintain a current awareness of evolving technologies and scientific developments that could be applied to advance programs and contribute to diligence efforts of novel technologies and therapeutic assets.
- Actively contribute to the external collaborative scientific strategy, e.g., identify and build collaborations and liaise with external scientists.
- Actively explore opportunities for novel investments through partnerships with the outside biotech community and new scientific initiatives internally.
- Ensure that all research is conducted with in accordance with relevant regulatory, quality and compliance guidelines.
- Ensure projects are adequately resourced and prioritized to deliver on objectives.
- Eliminate barriers and silos that inhibit collaboration across departments and line functions and foster a culture of open collaboration, communication and transparency
- Inspire, model, and reinforce colleague expectations of urgently creating value at an appropriate return on investment, of applying innovative, rigorous science to discovering new medicines, of individual & collective accountability for value creation, of continuously improving organizational effectiveness.
- Build a team of colleagues with the quality of scientific leadership and external recognition to generate competitive advantage in attracting the best talent and collaborators.
- Engender a high level of engagement and professional trust across both direct and indirect lines.
- Attract and grow highly effective scientists and drug discoverers and nurture a culture which translates breaking biological science into new medicines most effectively and competitively in the biomedical research industry.
- Effectively, rigorously and accurately review and develop talent. Proactively address development needs and make difficult decisions when appropriate.
- Ph.D. in the life sciences with at least 15 years of post-doctoral experience in neuroscience, preferably in rare neurological diseases, and with experience leading a research laboratory in academic or industry setting.
- Broad expertise in neuroscience and delivery methodology to different regions of the brain.
- Decision making and problem-solving profile which enables marrying emerging science with unmet medical need to identify potential breakthrough medicines and uses this experience to build a sustainable pipeline of drug candidates. Adept at separating important from unimportant information.
- Experience with progressing therapeutics from conception to IND.
- Experience leading, or collaborating closely, with a clinical group that conducts translational research or drug development studies.
- Significant external scientific influence within the neuroscience community and a strong record of publishing primary research in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals of national/international scientific reputation.
- Demonstrates ability to think strategically and creatively while contributing to multiple projects.
- Thrives in a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary team setting, and possesses highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and mentor others and oversee/guide colleagues work to achieve meaningful outcomes that create a positive business impact.
A natural collaborator who forges strong relationships and alliances at all levels, internally & externally, attracting ideas, catalyzing new thinking and galvanizing action.
Very decisive, with an entrepreneurial mindset driven by a passion for applying science to deliver medicines to patients.
Effective at the strategic - detail level planning and moves between the two levels effortlessly.
Situational leader who is resilient, assured and decisive under pressure or when faced with ambiguity; willing to step into a leadership role in any situation which demands it.
Manages change rapidly, and effectively, in a way which assures those around them.
Sophisticated interpersonal skills, exhibits empathy with others frame of reference, perceives impact of actions and words, draws ideas out from others regardless of origin and builds upon them, provides open and frank feedback (both positive & negative) in a constructive fashion and tailors coaching style to recipient.
Team player who is adaptable to many different roles within a team.
Networks and builds effective working relationships both inside and outside her/his area of responsibility.
Navigates effectively through complex organizational relationships (internal & external) to meet deliverables.
Engenders trust, respect and confidence as a leader.
· Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus