Associate Director Tax Counsel
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director Tax Counsel will assist the Tax function with tax planning, mergers and acquisition support, monitoring of U.S. and global tax legislation, the documentation and defense of tax positions taken, through assembly and preparation of workpapers and other supporting files, coordination of interactions with tax authorities, research and writing, and substantive and quantitative analysis of tax risks and opportunities. The Associate Director Tax Counsel reports to the Tax Counsel and interacts regularly with personnel inside and outside of the Tax team.
- Manage the development and execution of sophisticated planning initiatives that are aligned with key business strategies and tax department goals; make recommendations to team members to improve and strengthen project outcomes.
- Oversee, manage and implement mergers and acquisitions within the Tax Group, interacting and overseeing other Tax Group members and liaising with other functions within AbbVie including legal, accounting, HR, and operations.
- Develop and oversee maintenance of step plans depicting transaction steps and US and foreign tax considerations, with input from tax team members and external advisors where necessary.
- Strong subchapter C and mergers and acquisitions technical background, with background or ability to learn and develop international tax technical skills.
- Coordinate with Tax Operations teams to create models computing US and foreign tax consequences of projects and demonstrate an ability to communicate impacts of transactions to team members and leadership.
- Research complex tax issues related to tax planning initiatives and provide audit support.
- Build strong relationships within the Tax Team, and partner with the Transfer Pricing, Tax Operations and Tax Center of Excellence, and International Tax team members.
- Coordinating external advisor advice regarding mergers and acquisitions, tax planning and other initiatives.
- Demonstrate a global mindset; communicate and collaborate with cross-functional team members and affiliates around the world.
- Monitor and analyze final and proposed tax legislation; identify areas for opportunity or development.
- Preparing documentation after developing relevant facts, researching tax issues, and interpreting and applying tax laws, regulations, and cases to facts.
- Assisting with a variety of other tax planning- and compliance-related tasks, arising within and outside the Tax department.
- Communicating clearly, concisely, and practically across stakeholders.
- 8+ years of experience required, with Big 4 or law firm experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, Accounting/Finance preferred
- JD recommended, with focus/interest in Tax
- Strong Excel skills a plus
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.