Biophysical Research Scientist
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
The Scientist is responsible for supporting the development of analytical methods for the characterization of proteins and peptides. The Scientist position will have an emphasis in structural biology and biophysical characterization methods (UV, fluorescence, light scattering, subvisible particle analysis, CD, AUC, DSC, ITC). Familiarity with HPLC separation methods (RP, SEC, IEX, HIC), capillary electrophoresis (SDS-CE, cIEF) methods are desired. He/She will provide scientific leadership as a subject matter expert and provide feedback and guidance to a team of protein expression/purification, cell-based, and in vivo scientists. He/She independently plans experimental work and executes protocols in support of group goals depending on departmental needs. He/She maintains a productive and collaborative laboratory environment consistent with group and company expectations.
Furthermore, the position requires the individual to work with and in areas requiring select agents and Toxins access (i.e. Biosafety level 2 and biosafety level 3 laboratories). Access to and use of select agents is regulated by federal policies. Therefore, the candidate must conduct all work activities in compliance with AbbVie internal and applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.y
- Execute the development of analytical methods for the characterization of biopharmaceuticals with an emphasis on biophysical characterization.
- Interpret results using principles of structural biology and biophysical characterization methods to determine molecular characteristics to aid in optimizing protein stability and expression and purification processes.
- Apply routine and specialized analytical techniques to characterize and quantify biopharmaceuticals. Maintain reagent supplies, notebooks, summarizes results in written reports and communicates observations to ensure that colleagues receive data and guidance in a timely manner. Comply with Quality Principals related to data generation and reporting.
- Actively participate on cross-functional teams within Toxin Innovations and provide support to other groups and external departments. Openly share scientific expertise and collaboratively help the team to formulate rational solutions to problems.
- Develop protocols, train staff, and maintain the laboratory consistent with departmental and company requirements.
- Maintain a good and current knowledge of the scientific and technical literature pertinent to the project and necessary for development of state-of-the-art analytical methods, including the acquisition of reasonable and necessary equipment.
- Keep up to date on current and cutting-edge developments in the biologics characterization field.
- Make high quality scientific presentations at internal management, regional and national meetings to help advance the company’s image as the thought and product leader in the neuromodulator field.
- Experience obtained through a combination of appropriate education (Ph.D.) and four or more years of applied experience. Individuals with a MS degree and seven or more years of applied experience may also qualify.
- Extensive experience with the application biophysical techniques for the characterization of proteins and their degradation and modification products.
- An understanding and ability to analyze data from mass spectrometry and analytical separation techniques.
- Skilled in the use of multiple types of equipment for the characterization of proteins or peptides
- A solid understanding of methods and procedures related to the production and characterization of biopharmaceuticals is expected.
- Strong analytical and instrument skills and a thorough understanding and working knowledge of analytical method development.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.