Director, Pharmaceutical Science Team Lead
A Pharmaceutical Sciences Team Leader (PSTL) directs multiple interdisciplinary Pharmaceutical Sciences Project Team (PSPTs) and Co- Development Teams (Pharm Sci + Pfizer Global Supply = CDT). They act as the single point of accountability for Pharmaceutical Sciences on the global medicine teams (GMTs) for each assigned project. The PSTL role covers end-to-end project leadership, including aligning the Pharm Sci activities with the GMT strategies for each project.
This role will independently lead large and extra-large, medium to high complexity projects
The individual will be responsible to engage other subject matter experts as needed.
- Will lead and mentor the assigned PSPTs and CDTs comprised of scientists from all key CMC disciplines, with responsibility for PS strategy development and execution for the projects. Ensures deliverables are on time and of high quality.
- Represents Pharm Sci as a member of the Global Medicine Team, responsible for driving overall strategy for the projects, which include both internal and in-licensed medicines.
- Works with key stakeholders in Medicinal Sciences, Commercial, Clinical, Pfizer Global Supplies (PGS), and other partner lines to define the product concept and lead the operational planning for assigned projects
- Provides a single point of accountability for all Pharm Sci aspects of the assigned projects, interacting as necessary with stakeholders at all levels of management (inside and outside of Pharm Sci) to convey project information and manage expectations.
- Acts as an ambassador for Pharm Sci, Co-Development and the Medicine Team at internal Pharm Sci governance meetings. Also represents Pharm Sci viewpoints to governance bodies and other key stakeholders outside Pharm Sci, including educating stakeholders on Pharm Sci opportunities, risks, and work processes.
- Responsible for planning and forecasting team budgets and resources, working with Pharm Sci project manager to develop plans in RAPID and then actively manage Pharm Sci budgets, plans, and forecasts.
- Works with Procurement and Pharm Sci Outsourcing Specialists to manage interactions with third party manufacturers and other vendors necessary for the projects
- Contributes to continuous improvement efforts within Pharm Sci and across greater Pfizer through such activities as Limited Duration Teams, “Lessons Learned” exercises, and mentoring other PSTLs and team members
- When relevant to assigned projects, PSTL will work in partnership with the Business Development leads in out-licensing of projects or working with an external partner for in-licensing a candidate.
- PhD in biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, pharmacy, chemical engineering, or an analytical chemistry-based discipline plus 12 years of experience in drug development and/or combination products.
- Demonstrated success in leading scientific teams.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams as well as working independently in ambiguous situations/assignments, gathering input from colleagues and management to address project-related issues
- Technical abilities should include a sound knowledge of the drug development process, an advanced technical knowledge within the applicant’s own discipline, as well as a strong knowledge of other disciplines within and external to Medicinal Sciences.
- Role involves routinely investigating and creating innovative processes, hypothesis, and methodologies. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve complex problems independently in own functional area.
- The combination of strong pharmaceutical and medical device development experience preferred.
- Strong track record of performance on cross-functional teams and results through effective implementation of project management methodology, tools, and techniques.
- Strong leadership, negotiation, interpersonal, communication, and meeting facilitation skills.
- Experience with stakeholder management, governance management, and communicating key messages to senior-level stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize project management tools and techniques (such as developing integrated project plans, critical path management, project change control, project risk management, and decision analysis).
- Extensive hands-on experience using Microsoft Project or equivalent project planning system to create and manage project timelines (Planisware and Snapshot experience highly desirable).
- Track record for delivery against challenging personal and team goals.
- Proven ability to succeed in a fast-paced, challenging and complex matrix team environment.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
Working experience in disciplines of CMC and biomedical engineering. Specific experience in developing / manufacturing /analytical /pharmaceutical processes to support clinical trials and commercial scale-up of small molecule medicines is desirable. Strong record applying innovative and complex pharmaceutical / combination product approaches to development in a project team environment; understanding of requirements for commercialization.
The successful candidate will be capable of independent problem solving and working with minimal direction under most circumstances. Applicants should demonstrate strongly collaborative behaviors and teamwork and demonstrate expertise in most or all of the following: team dynamics, coaching, negotiation, motivating and other soft skills necessary to foster team effectiveness in a matrixed environment. The successful candidate will also possess strong oral and written communication skills. Strong analytical and computer skills are required
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Last Date to Apply for Job: 8//14/2021
- Additional Location Information: Virtual, Regional or other specific location parameters noted in posting request
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus