Principal EHS Specialist I
As a key member of the site EHS staff, the Principal EHS Specialist will lead and manage a variety of EHS programs at the Pfizer Andover OSHA VPP Star site. Position provides EHS technical leadership and day to day operational support for all businesses on site, including biopharmaceutical research, development and manufacturing. Position is as an EHS generalist, with primary emphasis on laboratory safety, biosafety and industrial hygiene program. A key role is to guide and influence people leaders and colleagues to ensure their success in managing and performing safe and compliant operations.
Position will be minimally accountable for:
developing, implementing and maintaining EHS technical programs and standards that meet and exceed regulatory and corporate standards. Primary emphasis is on laboratory safety, chemical hygiene, occupational hygiene and biosafety programs
providing leadership, day to day program management, training and operational support to all levels of the organization – lab bench to senior leadership – to achieve a zero-injury, 100% compliant culture
serving as an expert safety, health and environmental resource to the site (EHS generalist), providing special expertise in biosafety and lab safety
leading and guiding the site’s 50 part time Laboratory Safety representatives including orientation of new representatives to the role and facilitating quarterly group meetings
supervising the efforts of a part time biosafety consultant and fulfilling the role of Site Biosafety Officer, including facilitating the annual meeting of the site Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
supervising the efforts of a part time industrial hygiene consultant and evaluating results of personal monitoring and site surveys as compared to regulatory and Pfizer requirements
assess business risks of biological cross contamination between the varied site operations and promote risk mitigation
managing EHS review and approval of all projects on site involving use of biohazardous agents using the electronic Biological Risk Assessment Module (BRAM).The site’s biological risk profile includes BL-2 large scale vaccine manufacture, human materials requiring blood borne pathogen compliance, and viral vectors.
performing and documenting risk assessments of chemical and biological agent use and associated equipment in consultation with customers and other EHS SME’s for large projects and small tasks
developing and communicating specific biosafety and laboratory safety practices to mitigate/reduce risk
providing guidance to laboratory personnel handling Low Occupational Exposure Level active pharmaceutical ingredients in the laboratory including application of related Corporate EHS guidelines
Education and Experience: BS, Masters or PhD degree in physical, biological or environmental science, microbiology, industrial hygiene or related scientific or management discipline. 10 years of relevant work experience or 8 years with Masters degree in EHS relevant discipline. 5 years of work experience and PhD in EHS relevant discipline. Certification in recognized EHS specialties or professional licensure a plus, including Certified Industrial Hygienist and/or Registered Biosafety Professional. Minimum of 3 years experience implementing biosafety-related programs in biopharma or academia.
- Has subject matter expertise in relevant EHS regulations, principles, pollution control technology, biosafety, industrial hygiene and safety related equipment and safeguards. Has strong technical knowledge and solves practical worker health, safety and environmental problems.
- Able to lead and influence stakeholders in order to advance projects, programs, and site EHS management systems and performance
- Can independently identify, analyze and solve complex EHS technical problems. Has investigation abilities and solves problems using advanced industrial hygiene and safety engineering techniques. Leads teams of experts from other functions to analyze and solve problems.
- Can effectively document technical assignments expeditiously. Works on multiple EHS projects simultaneously and meets deadlines.
- Can develop, analyze and interpret data and test results in the context of complex projects. Can collaborate with others to determine areas of potential risk to business success and generate gap analysis.
- Plans own work to meet deadlines. Is effective in planning and completing work product deliverables to team projects to assure projects stays on track. Expected to identify broad objectives for projects. Also expected to independently develop project proposals.
- Possesses an excellent understanding of biosafety principles, lab safety programs and key processes such as risk assessment, inspections, audits and investigations.
- Ability to independently assess biosafety risks and programs and sensitively communicate/collaborate with line management on appropriate risk measures.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirements and guidelines associated with laboratory safety and biosafety.
- Exceptional interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated/self-starter with ability to multi-task and work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Responsive, customer service attitude.
- Excellent training and presentation skills, techniques, applications and practices.
- Skilled proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Working knowledge of the biopharmaceuticals industry
May require walking, standing, and or sitting for prolonged periods
Must be able to walk and drive between site facilities on the site
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Incumbent will be required to respond to emergencies, both by phone and in person as necessary, at any time.
Requires being on call 24/7.
Must be willing and able to work multiple shifts, including nights, weekends, holidays, and other times, with minimal notice
Occasional travel to local and national conferences and Pfizer sites
- Eligible for Relocation Package