Senior Director, Agile Coaching & Kaizen Lead
At Pfizer we make medicines and vaccines that change patients' lives with a global reach of over 780 million patients. Pfizer Digital is the organization charged with winning the digital race in the pharmaceutical industry. We apply our expertise in business process, technology, innovation and our businesses to support Pfizer in this mission.
The Business Process Excellence (BPE) function works across all business units and functions globally and is the Center Of Excellence for Enterprise scale process, or “mega-process,” redesign and establishment of Agile ways of working in the enterprise. The Agile ways of working the BPR team enables and supports are how Pfizer will achieve our Purpose of Breakthroughs that Change Patients’ Lives. Using facilitated, cross-functional Kaizen events, we re-imagine simplified, more efficient and digitized processes, organizational structures and solutions. In addition, we enable sustained effectiveness at a team and team-of-teams levels through the application of scrum, Kanban and other Agile mindsets and methodologies. As the enterprise COE for Agile, we enable teams to accomplish their work in a faster, more innovative and customer-centric way.
In order to lead our organization in adopting new ways of working, the role of Sr. Director, E2E Process and Kaizen / Agile Coaching is being established. This lead is accountable for the strategic direction of and is responsible for Agile / Kaizen effectiveness across all initiatives using these methods, enterprise-wide. They perform many different tasks, core duties and responsibilities, such as
- Leading teams of coaches who are charged with instantiating new Agile Teams and in utilizing Kaizen events to drive the redesign of Enterprise-level processes
- Educating all stakeholders and team members on Kaizen/Agile
- Coaching Senior Leadership in effectively leading and enabling their teams in working in transformed ways using Business Process Excellence and Agile methodologies
- Mentoring the team level resources across organizations in effectively utilizing Agile methodologies
- Develop and execute the Kaizen and/or Agile Adoption Strategy
In order to lead our organization in adopting new ways of working, the role of lead is being established. The Senior Coaching Lead is accountable for the strategic direction of and is responsible for Agile / Kaizen effectiveness enterprise-wide. The incumbent develops and implements long-term plans that impact the achievement of Enterprise results through performance of different tasks, core duties and responsibilities, including
- Oversees and manages a team of coaches directly. In addition, lead people through matrix reporting relationships while leveraging deep technical and functional expertise in business process redesign and use of Agile. Will influence and may manage\utilize significant D&T and Business Unit resources outside of direct authority globally.
- Is responsible for delivering a cross-functionally developed talent base and for anticipating/preparing for the longer-term development needs with respect to Kaizen use and Agile adoption across the Enterprise.
- Educate and train colleagues, stakeholders and senior leaders, including executive leadership, across the entire enterprise, on Kaizen/Agile principles, methodologies and ways of working while providing them with tools for implementing the process in their own work and overcome roadblocks. They are accountable for training teams and establishing in them the valuable skills that allow for the organization-wide adoption of Agile methodologies.
- Build interpersonal relationships with other teams and serve as a trusted adviser to all stakeholders with a role in Agile teams
- Lead a team of Facilitators and Coaches, guiding teams into the Agile methodologies and mindsets, providing employees with feedback and means of improvement, catalyzing organizational growth and answering questions.
- Provide hands-on support to all employees, collaborating with people across widely varying levels and roles, leading teams toward further understanding, adoption and use of Kaizen / Agile as well as overall company growth and improvement.
- Develop Agile Adoption Strategy for organizational adoption of Agile / use of Kaizen at every stage of adoption, from the introduction of Kaizen / Agile and employee education, to fostering teams and cultures that practice Agile, to sustaining Agile methodologies and continually offering strategies for improvement. Contributes to the broader enterprise strategy and acts as catalyst in the Pfizer-wide Agile Transformation and adoption of Business Process Excellence mindsets across the company.
- Implement Kaizen / Agile Mindsets and Methodology - This entails implementing process, principles and practices across all levels and business units within Pfizer. The Kaizen / Agile Coaching Lead must use and lead their team of Facilitators / Coaches to use techniques that increase collaboration, predictability, transparency and promote a culture of experimentation and innovation. In order to do this, the Kaizen / Agile Coaching Lead must also embody the Agile principles and lead by example.
- Leads design and strategic direction for the implementation of scaled agile structures and use of Agile across all relevant solutions as required to ensure teams of teams work collaboratively and effectively. This will require a deep expertise in SAFe and the ability to convey the benefits and requirements to senior leadership to ensure success.
- Develops long-term plans for the use of Kaizen, Agile and lean methodologies that impact the achievement of Enterprise results through effective, continuous and efficient delivery of processes, products, solutions and experiences for our target customer groups.
- When leading implementation of Agile ways of working with technology teams, coach and enable delivery teams on modern application design and development practices
- Support teams in creating product vision and roadmap via writing effective user stories and prioritizing backlog based on business value
- Integrate creative and innovative ways to position agile as strategic direction, innovative lever and competitive advantage for the benefit of patients
- Develops solutions to highly complex and unique problems across all relevant customer-types, often outside their area of expertise, both as an individual and as a member of a leadership team and is accountable for decisions within and across business units.
- Responsible to anticipate, oversee and influence an environment of continuous improvement and innovation in while continuously delivering highly complex solutions. Also, accountable to influence areas outside their own expertise, as an individual and as a member of a leadership team and is accountable for decisions within our Global Business Unit.
- Encourages acceptable levels of risk-taking towards driving innovation, putting frameworks in place to determine acceptable levels of risk and\or business opportunity for Pfizer as a company.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Engineering or Technology Management preferred with related field and proven technical experience with emphasis on software development and maintenance.
- 12+ years of relevant experience as a process redesign, improvement expert and/or leading global organizations in transforming to adopt Agile ways of thinking and working.
- 5+ years of experience as a scrum master with a scrum coaching mentality in an agile environment
- Is recognized internally and externally as a thought leader and a Subject Matter Expert of the principles, concepts and theories of use of Kaizen and/or Agile methodologies.
- May represent the Enterprise or act as an external resource due to their advanced knowledge of principles and concepts in a variety of discipline Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach (CEC), or the equivalent Pfizer experience
- High proficiency and proven successful delivery of experiences adoption of SAFe and other scaled agile and lean, techniques and methodologies
- Knowledge of project management processes and experience with Project Portfolio reporting
- Prior experience with talent and succession planning processes to establish plans for managing talent inside and outside the organization and for improving diverse leadership bench strength.
- Proven ability to mentor technical leaders; recruit and retain top talent and develop colleagues.
- Must have proven ability to manage communication as a vehicle to ensure alignment of strategies and day-to-day operations to team members and business unit partners in support of patient facing products, services and experiences.
- Proven financial and resource management capabilities
- Comfortable with ambiguity and facilitating discussions to explore the best possible solutions and possess the ability to lead and inspire with imagination, courage, and curiosity
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and concepts in business processes across biopharmaceutical companies
- Ideally, has a proven track record of using knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry, related industries, customer requirements and the general business environment to support teams in their revising processes and/or adopting Agile
- Experience in using and/or teaching use of Jira, Confluence and Jira Align a plus.
- Certified SAFe® Agilist and/or Certified SAFe® Program Consultant
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Travel will be required as part of this role. Expectations around travel will vary but candidates must be capable of travel within the region, to other regions, and to Pfizer World Headquarters.
- BPE is a 7x24x365 endeavor. This role may require physical or virtual participation on a weekend, holiday, or after normal business hours
Other Job Information
- Eligible for employee referral bonus