Senior Manager, Robotics & Automation
The High-throughput Clinical Immunoassays & Diagnostics Team (HCID) resides under Vaccine Research & Development (VRD) and supports Pfizer’s vaccine programs. HCID’s mission is to develop, validate and maintain various immunoassays to support both pre-clinical and clinical vaccine studies. This laboratory-based position manages assay support functions within the Robotics and Automation Team. Job responsibilities include: (i) managerial oversight over laboratory automation process development efforts for existing equipment, (ii) managerial oversight over evaluation and/or implementation of new technologies within the Robotics and Automation group and within other groups in VRD (iii) managerial oversight over equipment qualification; (iv) forecasting short- and long-term project requirements, (v) assuring appropriate levels of cGXP compliance, including documentation practices, specimen/data tracking, and audit readiness; (vi) maintaining and promoting laboratory safety and compliance and (vii) coaching and development of junior team members and direct reports.
- Manages all phases of laboratory automation process development efforts from conception through implementation and validation, in support of VRD’s vaccine programs.
- In conjunction with assay support and equipment maintenance functions within the Robotics and Automation group, ensures that the proper resources, both human and equipment, are in place to support the various programs.
- Leverages broad technical knowledge to evaluate new technologies, shares expertise throughout VRD, and determine the best course of action.
- Maintains oversight of other required activities, including but not limited to robotic method wet run testing, instrument and method qualification.
- Regularly communicates with both HCID leadership and assay groups in order to assess short- and long-term needs to supporting clinical testing, both the preparation of assay ready plates and execution of the assays.
- Prioritizes the scheduling of work according to the requirements set forth by HCID leadership.
- Ensures that all work is performed safely; and regulated tasks/activities are performed in compliance with cGXP and Pfizer/Regulatory agency requirements.
- Manages the team’s performance and development. Assists direct and indirect reports with setting their semester goals and creating a personal development plan. Provides regular coaching to colleagues. Conducts regular performance discussions and year-end performance appraisals.
- Manages a team of 3 to 8 direct reports, in addition to second-level personnel.
- BS in a scientific discipline with 12 years of industry experience, MS in a scientific discipline with 10 years of industry experience or PhD in a scientific discipline with 8 years of industry experience. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Previous supervisory experience is required, with a minimum of 5 years leading a group of at least 10 colleagues.
- Proven ability to perform basic analyses of laboratory data and interpret the results.
- Prior experience in a high throughput setting with process development experience. Direct hands-on experience programming and troubleshooting robotic liquid handlers (Agilent, Hamilton, Tecan) and other laboratory automation equipment (robotic arm, plate reader/sealer/washer, automated incubator).
- Work is primarily performed at the laboratory bench or at an office desk using a computer.
- The job involves lifting relatively light loads, generally not more than 10 pounds.
- This position may require occasional weekend and evening work to meet critical business timelines.
- This position may require occasional travel to scientific meetings, between Pfizer sites and other business-related travel.
- Experience with the use of a laboratory information management system (LIMS).
- Previous experience leading managers.
- Experience with the use of liquid handler scheduling software.
- Experience with immunoassays and vaccine clinical testing.
- Training in cGxP regulations and other international regulatory guidelines.
- Experience with microfluidics and/or other emerging low volume liquid handling technologies.
Other Job Details:
- Last Date to Apply: August 30, 2021
- Eligible for Relocation Package: YES
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: YES