We are currently searching for a Laboratory Technician to support the Sickle Cell Branch (SCB) at the NIH. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for sample shipping, receiving, storage, and inventory.
- Maintain and search sample and data databases.
- Maintain and accurately complete laboratory logs (patient samples -whole blood, plasma, DNA, RNA, Protein).
- Manage inventory and procure laboratory supplies, reagents, and equipment when needed.
- Perform lab equipment receiving and maintain lab equipment.
- Perform laboratory procedures (sample handling and processing, extraction and quantitation of nucleic acids and proteins) and assays (molecular biology assays such as gel electrophoresis, enzymatic assays, PCR, etc.), under the direction the principal investigator and senior scientists.
- Make modifications and improvements in laboratory methods and procedures to meet specific needs or experimental situations, including.
- Assist in developing novel assays and methodologies as needed for the planned fundamental and translational research.
- Prepare reports and present data to supervisors, lab members, and collaborators.
- Generate protocols and updates.
- Maintain log of laboratory safety compliance and ensure that regulations are being followed.
- Comply with institution’s rules and regulations, such as institutional review board protocols, environmental health and safety, and waste management.#LI-SK1
- Associates degree with four years of experience or bachelor’s with two years of experience in molecular biology or a related field is required.
- Minimum two years of related experience.
- Experience with molecular biological techniques, including, but not limited to buffer preparation; DNA/RNA isolation and quantification; primer/probe design; PCR; RT-PCR; qPCR; gel electrophoresis, and imaging and purification.
- Knowledge of proper laboratory disposal methods and safety procedures.
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, Access, and GraphPad Prism.
- Must be organized with a strong ability to multi-task, prioritize, and be attentive to detail.
- Must possess a high level of independent judgment and accuracy.
- Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, and regulations or law.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to work independently and reliably.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.