Associate Director, Regulatory AD/Promo
Associate Director, Regulatory AD/PromoAllakos Inc. is a clinical-stage company developing therapeutic antibodies for inhibitory receptors on the surface of immune effector cells involved in allergic, inflammatory, and proliferative diseases. Allakos is committed to developing innovative therapies that transform patients’ lives. We are looking for bright and talented individuals to join our team and share in our passion and commitment to improving the lives of patients.
Position Summary:As a member of the Allakos team you will have the opportunity to build strong partnerships and educate patients. In this role, you will contribute to by providing creditable scientific expertise.
Your Role:The Associate Director, Medical Ad/Promo Regulatory Review serves as an internal expert on FDA regulations, guidance, and enforcement trends governing the promotion of prescription drug and biologic products.
- Capable of providing regulatory strategic oversight for at least one (1) complex product or therapeutic area/multiple products to help ensure regulatory compliance of promotional materials generated for assigned US products and/or compounds.
- Understands and interprets complex issues in relation to regulatory requirements and promotional strategy.
- Able to mentor and develop staff. Supervises, trains and provides technical and regulatory guidance to staff.
- Serves as the chair of promotional review meetings, and assists Commercial with the planning and prioritization of proposed promotional and disease state materials.
- Serves as primary liaison with OPDP and/or APLB reviewers in the request and negotiation of advisory comments and any other interactions regarding use of promotional claims for assigned products.
- Ensures consistent review standards within the electronic approval system (EAS) are upheld, and business needs are assessed and addressed.
- Supports metrics to measure and track the effectiveness and efficiency of the promotional review process and provides recommendations for process improvements to address potential issues.
- Collaborates with Regulatory Affairs, Medical, Legal, Commercial, and Compliance, executes and approves key Commercial campaigns. Provides expert guidance to help evaluate and mitigate potential risk.
- Serves as an internal expert on FDA regulations, guidance, and enforcement trends governing the promotion of prescription drug and biologic products. The role is responsible for thoroughly reviewing and assessing proposed promotional items to evaluate their completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Understands broad concepts within Regulatory Affairs and potential implications across the organization. Proactively identifies regulatory issues. Offers creative solutions and strategies, including risk mitigation strategies.
- Provides product development and label development strategies, as needed, to ensure promotional claims can be supported.
- May provide direct supervision of individuals including mentoring, performance management, and staffing decisions. Identifies and proposes solutions to management for any resource gaps for brand responsibilities.
- Presents to senior management and cross-functional teams regarding shared learnings from FDA advisory comments, recent enforcement actions, and/or guidance documents.
- Leads internal Ad/Promo project workstreams (e.g., best practice documents) and active participant at team staff meetings (e.g., present FDA guidances/enforcement letters).
- Collaborates with the International Regulatory Ad/Promo review teams for materials that are intended for global audiences (e.g., global press releases, new global campaigns).
Qualifications and Expertise:
- Degree in life science or equivalent. Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MS, MBA, JD) preferred.
- Ideal candidate has a minimum of 5 years’ experience in Regulatory Affairs or related field, including a minimum of 3 years’ experience specific to Regulatory Affairs – Advertising and Promotion. Candidates with experience in related fields may also be considered.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable regulations and regulatory guidance specific to advertising and promotion of pharmaceutical products for healthcare professionals, payor and consumer audiences.
- Previous experience in Regulatory Affairs promotion and advertising; experience in managing major regulatory filing(s) (e.g., launch advisory comment submission or responses to enforcement letters) or competitor complaints.
- Provide regulatory guidance to drug development teams, merging scientific principles and FDA law and regulations for development of marketing materials, including representation on global regulatory and labeling teams.
- Provide leadership related to issues of critical importance; provide regulatory advice and recommendations involving regulatory issues on topics for which there may not be clear/specific regulatory insights.
- Understands the phases, processes and techniques used within a clinical development environment, can contribute to clinical study design discussions as needed.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable government regulations, particularly those related to advertising and promotion, including key global codes of practice and regulations. Has thorough knowledge of historical enforcement actions and is readily able to use this when offering recommendations to stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written skills, timeline responsibilities, negotiations skills. Works well with others, especially on a cross-functional team, direct reports and senior leadership.