Sr. Scientist - Drug Delivery and Biomaterials.
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
The Sr. Scientist will develop innovative biomaterials for controlled release drug delivery and next generation medical aesthetics products via chemical engineering of biomaterials (design, synthesis, modification, fabrication, and characterization of polymers) and formulation prototype development (hydrogels, particles or implants), with the aim of achieving target bulk and surface properties for the intended product safety and efficacy profiles. The ideal candidate has a sound know-how and track record of engineering biomaterials for drug delivery or biomedical applications, understands the technology landscape, has demonstrated scientific leadership in a collaboration matrix, and is effective in driving innovation as well as delivering results in a fast-paced environment through designing and executing scientific studies to achieve target product attributes.
- Responsible for putting together detailed Project Plans including scientific approaches and realistic deliverables with timelines. Actively involved in designing, planning, and executing experimental studies for the development of novel biomaterials. Applies scientific expertise in the creation of in-house materials and the evaluation of external, existing candidates. Accumulates data and observations on candidate evaluation and makes recommendations for next steps.
- Actively works in a team environment. Frequent communication is essential and must interface with colleagues in Biomaterials Development, Analytical Services, Product Development, Research, and Tissue and Materials Science areas. Will remain as “internal consultant” as technology moves into Development and later stages according to the ADP process. May be responsible for supporting raw material efforts in choosing potential suppliers, qualifying incoming lots, developing proper analytical assays, and drafting of specifications.
- Organizes, schedules and participates in project team meetings to define and schedule project activities and review completed tasks. Communicates project status to supervisor, project team leader, other research managers, and R&D committees as appropriate. Prepares time and cost estimates of project activities for review by manager to achieve realistic project completion dates.
- Attends and participates in scientific meetings as AbbVie’s representative to gain knowledge about new products or technologies pertinent to corporate business interest. Reviews and evaluates current technical and trade literature in order to maintain and extend technical competence. Communicates new compound, product, and technology related ideas to supervisor and other research managers to maintain and enhance AbbVie’s position in the marketplace.
- Other activities (but not limited to) are as follows:
- prepares and justifies capital expenditure requests for procurement of laboratory equipment and instruments.
- interviews applicants, conducts performance appraisals, recommends personnel actions such as promotions, hiring etc.
- interacts with fellow staff colleagues in a way that adds to departmental optimal efficiency.
- Writes, reviews and issues technical reports, technical memoranda and other documents for internal and external distribution. Generates ROI’s and works closely with AbbVie patent counsel in generating IP documentation.
- Monitor group costs. Initiate personnel actions, including employee hires, promotions, transfers and discharges. Create and present employee evaluations, subject to the approval of the department Director. Assess subordinate employee training needs and conduct or recommend training as necessary. Administer employee disciplinary actions as the situation requires.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science, or related field with at least 3+ years of industrial experience.
- Work experience involving biomaterials is a plus.
- Sound knowledge of structure-property relationships as it applies to both bulk and surface attributes of polymeric materials is essential.
- Experience in one or more of the following technology areas is desirable: biomedical material synthesis, cross-linked/modified biomaterials, hydrogels, biodegradable polymers, polymer fabrication processes, and drug delivery systems for proteins.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.