Manager, Revenue Recognition
PacBio has an exciting opportunity for a Manager, Revenue Recognition. At Pacific Biosciences (NASDAQ: PACB), we are passionate about developing high-quality, innovative technologies and systems that impact areas of critical importance, including human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. In particular, our technology is being used for pandemic surveillance with scientists assessing potential COVID-19 mutations based on sequencing data generated from our sequencing platforms. Our unique long-read gene sequencing technology generates complete and highly accurate data, giving scientist more insights. We believe our tools will lead to advances that will create long-lasting benefits for the world and its future.
The Role & The Team
The Manager, Revenue Accounting will lead our global revenue accounting function, partnering closely with internal stakeholders across the company. The individual in this leadership role, will serve as the finance organization's subject matter expert on revenue accounting and engage with the business to provide revenue recognition compliant solutions, including contract reviews, non-standard sales deals, new product introductions, etc. This role reports to the Director, SEC reporting and Technical Accounting.
- Partner with Sales, Legal, FP&A and Sales Operations to determine revenue impact on non-standard contracts and provide recommendations to maximize revenue
- Partner with Marketing on evaluation of sales incentive and partner programs
- Ensure appropriate revenue recognition and tracking of non-standard deals, SOX compliance and auditor requests
- Actively participate in the quarterly revenue projections process, ensuring accuracy in assumptions and reconciliation of forecast to actual results
- Review related quarterly results for accuracy and consistency ultimately managing the preparation of key deliverables for distribution to senior management.
- Participate in revenue close activities, including review of manual entries and revenue related account reconciliations
- Research, evaluate and prepare technical revenue accounting memos
- Support the SEC reporting process through the preparation and review of revenue footnote disclosure schedules
- Participate in the design and execution of internal controls by updating process narratives, recommending changes to control documentation and maintaining evidence of performance of the control to ensure accurate presentation of financial statements and safeguarding company assets
- Act as liaison with external auditors for all revenue related audit requests
- Identify and execute process improvement and automation initiatives to scale the revenue recognition processes and controls to meet business requirements
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Accounting; CPA and Big 4 Public Accounting experience preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in technical accounting, including 4 years in revenue recognition
- Exceptional knowledge of revenue and related pronouncements (ASC 606)
- Life science and manufacturing industries accounting experience a plus
- Experience in writing complex technical accounting position papers
- Strategic thinking and leadership experience with an emphasis on relationship management and interacting with all levels within an organization as well as with external auditors
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented self-starter; ability to work independently and collaborate to meet deadlines; effectively work with team to expedite completion of critical projects
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to develop and mentor staff
- Proven track record in driving projects and process improvement initiatives
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and Power Point
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.