AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Headquartered in the Chicagoland Area, AbbVie is a global research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013. The Company's mission is to create an innovation-driven, patient-focused specialty biopharmaceutical company capable of achieving sustainable top-tier performance through outstanding execution and a consistent stream of innovative new medicines. With market leadership in attractive growth segments including Immunology, Oncology, Aesthetics, and Eye Care, AbbVie employs approximately 47,000 colleagues worldwide and markets medicines in more than 175 countries.
An unparalleled and recognized leader in this therapeutic area for over a decade, the AbbVie U.S. Immunology organization is seeking a Marketing Director for a new product launch in Gastroenterology. Our talented, highly creative Marketing professionals put AbbVie in the best position to win by driving strategic direction, leading product teams, and creating targeted, evidence-based product messaging to deliver value to our customers. Marketing professionals are among our most versatile performers and are involved in just about every aspect of our business. This involvement spans market research, market analytics and competitive intelligence, R&D and clinical trials, product launches, advertising and promotion, and post-market analysis.
The Marketing Director will have full strategic and tactical Marketing accountability for the new product launch. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure successful launch readiness and optimization of product P&L.
- Direct, initiate, and oversee the development of effective marketing strategies that are executable, easily communicated, and clinically supported.
- Build current and future competitive advantage by understanding & addressing key customers’ needs, and by demonstrating deep understanding of competitors’ strategies.
- Develop internal and external customer relationships that successfully drive business objectives.
- Broaden AbbVie’s network and presence by building scientific, academic, KOL, payer, and patient advocacy relationships.
- Effectively champion and communicate the brand vision and strategies to all related stakeholders, gaining support for initiatives along the way.
- Partner with cross-functional groups (Legal, Regulatory, Medical, Sales Training, Sales Training, Consumer Marketing, Market Analytics and Business Insights, Finance, HR, OEC, etc.) to ensure integration and consistency of professional business strategies and regulatory compliance of promotional materials.
- Balance business priorities and resources, adapting to the external and internal environment.
- Position requires excellent communication skills and strong analytical skills to understand scientific and financial data, recognize key issues, establish priorities, and prepare high-level presentations for senior executive staff review.
- Supervisory/Management Responsibilities – will lead a staff of Associate Marketing Directors and Marketing Managers.
Key Qualifications and Experiences:
- 10-12+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry in progressive commercial leadership roles with a strong foundation in marketing including successful product launch experience and ideally sales, market access, and/or general management with prior P&L responsibility.
- Depth of Immunology experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- U.S. experience required with strong skills and cultural sensitivity to work effectively with global teams. Demonstrated ability to influence and manage a complex set of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong executive presence and leadership skills are imperative as this leader will serve as a key role model in the organization helping to support a strong and growing business for AbbVie.
- Demonstrated and consistent experience in successfully leading organizational change.
- Outstanding partnering skills and the ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team and drive commercial decisions in a highly-matrixed organization to accomplish business goals.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead teams and have the managerial courage to make and stand by difficult decisions.
- Capable of attracting and developing world-class commercial talent.
- Strong communication and negotiating skills required.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence”, and can change course quickly when necessary.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions, and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation, and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.