Sr. Medical Science Liaison, PKU NORAM (Northeast)
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The PKU (phenylketonuria) Senior Medical Science Liaison (MSL) NORAM is a regional field-based position supporting the scientific and business interests of BioMarin by cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional and national level through in-depth, fair-balanced scientific engagement and strategic insight gathering. MSLs are the primary communicators of BioMarin science within a specific geography with healthcare providers and other key stakeholders and are viewed as peer scientific experts in a designated therapeutic area. The MSLs combine their strong business acumen, market awareness, and clinical expertise to serve as a conduit of information to internal cross-functional stakeholders in support of business planning and product development. In this role, you will identify pre-clinical, clinical and post-marketing study investigators in alignment with the PKU Medical Affairs objectives, provide actionable information and insights to internal stakeholders that may enhance the value and appropriate use of BioMarin products. You will also be responsible for supporting the initiation and development of Investigator Research proposals (IRs). The Senior MSL must possess in-depth knowledge of BioMarin’s PKU approved products, agents in the pipeline, and all associated disease state areas. The Senior MSL is expected to be a team player and possess the capacity to coordinate and manage initiatives or partnerships with external partners independently or with a minimum amount of oversight. This position will report into the Associate Director, PKU MSLs within the Global Medical Affairs (GMAF) department and work closely with GMAF partners as well as the Commercial and the Clinical Teams. Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, the MSL team will focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree. The PKU portfolio at BioMarin currently has two marketed products and a pipeline gene therapy.
Territory will be focused in the North East (Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Eastern Canada and may include additional US states). Candidate to be based in US, location within territory preferred.
- Execute PKU medical MSL plan and tactics within assigned territory to meet scientific objectives and company-defined goals for products both marketed and in development
- Provide education relative to disease state, and BioMarin products across the PKU product lifecycle to health care providers, dietitians, genetic counselors, researchers and other healthcare team members
- Serve as a medical/scientific resource through answering unsolicited medical questions and addressing other related medical information issues
- Engage in scientific exchange and provide feedback on emerging clinical/competitive trends
- Identify, document, discuss and communicate insights to internal stakeholders
- Maintain clinical and technical expertise in relevant therapeutic area
- Partner with medical and research and compliantly collaborate with commercial team
- Provide support to BioMarin PKU clinical trials including but not limited to the following: site evaluation and identification; recruitment; investigator meetings; external expert identification; and study management
- Support the clinical department by communicating potential investigators for other BioMarin products in development
- Support the implementation and coordination of external investigator-initiated research
- Participate in local, regional, and national meetings/conferences in support of all scientific and medical objectives
- Assist in the site level management of the publication plan timelines
- Work with internal Medical Affairs partners to develop and execute a territory plan designed to support and meet strategic medical objectives
- Input to and maintain internal documentation
- Review scientific journals, lead and participate in internal journal clubs
- Serve as a scientific resource to commercial and marketing partners. Participate in sales team training, medical updates, scientific presentations, journal clubs, and other approved meetings
- Have responsibility for assigned special projects and mentoring of other team members
- Self-development: Develops and communicates a professional growth plan. Takes responsibility for and actively manages professional development. Continually educates self on global market issues, trends, and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business responsibilities in key therapeutic areas
- Assure compliance with BioMarin operational guidelines
Experience and requirements:
- 5 or more years of relevant clinical experience, and 3 or more years of MSL experience is preferred
- Experience in rare genetic diseases/PKU and/or gene therapy preferred
- Experience in product launch, development, and execution preferred
- Knowledge of regulations impacting Medical Affairs and field activities in the pharmaceutical industry
- Excellent oral and written communication, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Proven track record as a team player
- Project management understanding and experience
- Ability to work in a virtual environment
- Position will require travel for field and home office obligations (50%-70%). Travel may be variable dependent on COVID restrictions.
- Minimum: Master’s degree with extensive clinical experience
- Preferred: MD, PharmD, PhD or equivalent terminal degree
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.