Associate Director/Director of TOPS Consolidation & Forecasting
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Associate Director/Director of TOPS Consolidation & Forecasting, will lead the Global Technical Operations (TOPs) Financial Planning & Analysis team of BioMarin. The successful candidate will have an extensive Operations and Finance background that will help the organization draw out business insight and bridge financial performance with business acumen.
Key success criteria in this role includes:
- Transforming the forecasting & planning system across TOPs FP&A organization, enable the integration of our planning tools across the Tech ops platform
- Delivering on our financial goals; and developing long range plans that supports future growth in line with operating margins and supports investment decisions
- Collaborating effectively with Financial and Business Leadership so that BioMarin is positioned well for the next phase of growth.
- Develop a robust COGM roadmap over the next five years
- The ideal candidate should have:
- A positive, approachable attitude to fill this high-paced role. The candidate should be comfortable liaising with all levels within BioMarin, should be able to demonstrate cultural sensitivity and exemplify the company’s ‘can do’ attitude to all tasks.
- The candidate will be responsible for setting the tone for the team, leading others through deadlines, and setting priorities. The candidate must be able to manage the expectations of many different departments and levels, must have a strong eye for detail and be prepared to ‘go the extra mile’ when called upon.
- We are looking for an innovative personality, someone that brings with them new ideas and ways of approaching relationship management & economic advisory but can also drive structure and efficiency into routine tasks.
- This role is based either in the Novato/ Shanbally offices of BioMarin with frequent travel to the corporate San Rafael offices with some travel to offices in Europe as required.
- Lead and develop a global matrixed team to oversee the TOPs FP&A activities
- Interact/collaborate with various business partners and stakeholders to ensure appropriate/timely progression of BioMarin routine work and projects
- Provide oversight of the TOPs routine reporting, budgeting, and long-range planning, including product COGS and Gross Margin analysis
- Key point of communication with senior leaders for controlling, strategic support, reporting, and planning as well as taking an active leadership role in the FP&A community
- Understand all aspects of Cost Accounting including inventory valuation, variance analyses, yield measurement, and standard cost maintenance.
- Monitor and account for all capital projects, including the timely capture of all project commitments and assist managers in performing project and/or capital expenditure cost analysis and justification as needed.
- Develop risk-based modelling & KPIs to support economic advisory
- Ensure compliance with internal controls
- Key Business partner with the Process Science and CMC leadership teams
- Minimum 10 years in progressively complex financial leadership roles
- People management experience required with preference for experience managing people in a matrixed, global environment
- Experience working in multi-national Biotechnology / Pharmaceutical industry (preferred)
- Experience with both clinical and commercial manufacturing (preferred)
- Accounting experience is a key requirement
- Strong English language skills (verbal and written)
- Strong computer literacy is essential, particularly across all Microsoft Office packages and Oracle systems
- Ability to develop strong internal relationships and interact at all levels
- Commitment to customer service with a strong sense of ownership for projects, results, and driving effective decision-making is a must
- High level of financial problem-solving skills; works effectively to identify issues, gather relevant data points and provide solution-based recommendations
- Ability to explain complex concepts and problems in simple terms, with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels
- Ability to demonstrate conceptual, innovative thinking in forecasting and workforce planning methods and techniques
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritize workload for a team or individuals to meet deadlines
- Flexibility to adopt and utilize new tools and techniques to improve departmental output
- Ability to prepare and deliver effective presentations to finance and business leadership teams and convey information with clarity and transparency to senior management
- Lead efforts to harmonize and simplify close and forecast processes across sites where applicable
- Highly driven and independent self-starter and pro-active leader. Seeks to continually drive and inspire the organization to the next level of performance.
- Process and systems improvement mindset for creating solutions to problems that work across boundaries beyond this role
- Analytical mindset; experience developing financial models, leading analysis & explaining options and implications
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business
- Advanced degree, CPA or MBA preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.