Internal Controls, Senior
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie’s Internal Controls CoE manages the organization’s compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX) and control improvement initiatives. This position provides support, and execution of AbbVie’s program for compliance with SOX Section 404, which requires all functions to document, test and assess internal controls over financial reporting.
This position will assist with Program Management Office (PMO) functions including: program planning, testing scoping, scheduling, and guidance; communication with Division and Corporate functions; updating or developing program tools and processes; monitoring of program status and schedule; and leading training and process improvement initiatives; assisting in the management and resolution of issues; review of internal control deficiencies; providing guidance for the evaluation and remediation of deficiencies; monitoring of remediation activities; and determination of readiness for review by internal and external auditors.
- The Internal Controls Senior assists with the responsibility of the quality of financial SOX controls and their compliance with AbbVie’s SOX program standards.
- Assists in the program schedule to ensure deliverables are met (includes all AbbVie deliverables to PMO and PMO deliverables to E&Y).
- Evaluates internal controls documentation, testing results, reviews ratings and conclusions, and evaluate/prioritize all deficiencies. Communicate expectations for remediation of deficiencies and monitor remediation efforts
- Act as subject matter expert for internal control matters globally by advising management and control owners in various functions such as Corporate, Commercial, Operations, and R&D.
- Assists in providing functional leadership and comprehensive ongoing support to all Managers for the completion of all AbbVie SOX Section 404 and 302 requirements. In addition, serve as primary resource for technical guidance on Section 404 requirements.
- Assist the team with mapping of controls, SOX alignment, and control changes related to the integration of acquisitions and system implementation projects.
- Administer quarterly SOX 302 certification process to identify control changes and monitor control environment globally.
- Liaises with third-party resources, Internal Audit, and external auditors. Assists in identifying and analyzing all relevant matters that could impact SOX scope and propose related approaches (during annual scoping and ongoing).
- Assists in management of impacts to and making updates to the control environment through various projects within the company such as process changes, system implementations, reorganizations, and business combinations/acquisitions.
- Assists in preparing ongoing status and deficiency reports for management.
- Identify opportunities to improve / streamline current processes and procedures.
- Complete ad hoc analysis and performance of internal controls as necessary.
- 3-6 years’ experience of public accounting - Big 4 or next tier (i.e., Grant Thornton, RMS, BDO),Auditing, Controls, Accounting, or Finance experience
- Previous experience as a Senior Auditor (at least one, preferably two busy seasons)
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance and/or accounting
- CPA preferred or other relevant certifications a plus (e.g., CIA, CFE, MBA)
- Ability to work independently and adjust priorities to achieve accurate and timely results
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to collaborate across functions
- Ability to identify process improvement opportunities and aptitude for continuous improvement and change
- Ability to understand the big picture while leveraging technical knowledge at a process/control level
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools (e.g., Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Up to 5% travel to AbbVie's International and Domestic locations required
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.