Manager, Public Affairs
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie seeks a reputation-minded communications leader with strong business acumen to drive brand-aligned and insights-based work on behalf of the U.S. Specialty franchise.
The Manager is responsible for leading strategy and execution of external communications programs that advance AbbVie’s U.S. Specialty portfolio. The Manager must be a strategic thinker and execute flawlessly while managing a broad range of internal and external stakeholders across mid-to-high levels of management.
The Manager reports to the Director of Specialty – Public Affairs. However, will closely collaborate with functions across the organization, including AbbVie Corporate Communications, Research and Development Communications, and Global Public Affairs colleagues to identify and maximize opportunities to tell AbbVie’s innovation and growth story.
- Develops strategic, high-impact public affairs programs to advance business objectives with emphasis on competitive differentiation, analytics and the external environment
- Secures timely buy-in and input from functional and franchise leaders on Public Affairs programs, including securing budget to effectively execute on programs
- Oversees and implements tactical program elements, ensuring deliverables are met on time and on budget across paid, earned, shared and owned channels
- Serves as communications counselor to franchise, ensuring programs are creatively developed and executed with the external environment in mind
- Represents U.S. Public Affairs on Integrated Brand Teams and proactively contributes in decision making settings with cross-functional business partners
- Develops and maintains relationships on behalf of AbbVie with patient advocates and advocacy organizations
- Demonstrates strong understanding of U.S. media environment and has media relations experience and skills to ensure effective engagement with reporters
- Manages issues that affect the business overall by proactively anticipating and mitigating reputational risk to AbbVie and immunology brands, and works with public affairs head to influence business decision making on key business issues
- Drives agency partner performance and ensures effective use of AbbVie resources
- Ensures programs fall within budget parameters and all administrative paperwork is completed in appropriate manner (invoice logging, purchase orders, statements of work, etc.)
- Ensures compliance by managing review process for external communications materials (press releases, statements, response documents, fact sheets, etc.). Keep various parties apprised of status, timelines and directional shifts to ensure smooth review process and to meet corporate deadlines
- Consistently shares best practices and offers new ideas and thinking to raise the bar for U.S. Public Affairs team
- Passion. Curiosity. Authenticity
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or Equivalent
- 5+ years of relevant experience and proven track record of success in developing and executing corporate and/or product communications and/or public relations, including media relations and social media/digital work
- Experience in the healthcare/bio-pharma industry. Strong business acumen with the ability to anticipate company and team needs, including strong understanding of U.S. healthcare system functioning and intricacies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with knowledge of emerging communications trends and technologies
- Experience in social media, digital and content marketing, and in innovative approaches to communications is required
- Is clear and courageous and can manage difficult conversations though direct and constructive dialogue
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change course quickly where indicated; raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo; creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Detail-oriented, proactive, efficient, creative, enthusiastic, able to make decisions with less-than-perfect information, able to stick to processes, results-oriented, enjoys complex challenges, flexible and prioritizes what matters most
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.