Associate Director, Regulatory Strategic Planning
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director, Regulatory Strategic Planning, is responsible for successfully delivering project management capabilities for highly complex, cross-functional teams within and across the Regulatory Affairs organization. The individual combines knowledge of scientific, regulatory, and business processes to properly drive the execution of AbbVie’s regulatory strategies. Responsibilities include developing and managing the schedules, activities, and deliverables for the Global Regulatory Product Teams (GRPTs), interacting with key stakeholders, and leading cross-functional process improvement efforts to help achieve business performance goals for regulatory compliance and productivity.
- Provides project management leadership in support of GRPTs; develops schedules and wave plans to ensure regulatory milestones are adequately planned and tracked and works with Regulatory staff across the globe to drive the execution of GRPT-related activities and deliverables.
- Works independently to plan and facilitate GRPT and related meetings (e.g., Dossier Kick-off Meetings, Regulatory Strategic Reviews, Rapid Response Teams, and Regulatory Advisory Panels); ensures action items are assigned and completed; periodically summarizes and shares team highlights with stakeholders as necessary.
- Interacts with ADTs and other key stakeholders across the enterprise to ensure regulatory milestones are properly communicated; periodically communicates with Regulatory management to provide timely updates on progress and/or issues that may impact the global program.
- Drives GRPT operations in support of the Global Regulatory Lead (GRL); ensures GRPT-related information and tools (e.g., team sites, rosters, charters, schedules) are kept up to date.
- Identifies, plans, and executes process improvement initiatives of high-complexity and cross-functional nature; demonstrates effective change leadership, and is able to move ideas from concept to implementation.
- Possesses extensive knowledge of the regulatory product lifecycle, business processes, and regulations across Regulatory sub-functions; is able to provide business subject matter knowledge on assigned initiatives, and demonstrates effective problem solving & decision making, learning and adjusting behaviors based on prior results/experience.
- Leads team meetings effectively; uses the project governance process to effectively escalate and drive resolution of issues; demonstrates effective group facilitation skills and ability to drive consensus among team members regarding process changes.
- Develops effective working relationships with project team members; prepares and delivers clear, relevant, and influential written reports and presentations for a variety of audiences.
- Coordinates and drives deliverable preparation; develops and maintains process models using standard methods and tools; manages and tracks budgets, contracts, communications, metrics, and reporting-related processes.
- Leads efforts to identify, capture, and report business performance metrics. Analyzes metrics with subject matter experts in an effort to drive increase compliance, quality, and productivity across the organization.
- Incorporates diverse, cross-functional, and global perspectives into strategies & tactics that consistently enhance the ability to improve outcomes for the Regulatory Affairs organization
- Bachelor’s degree in science (biology, chemistry, microbiology, medical technology, pharmacy, pharmacology), math, engineering, business management, or medical field
- Advanced degree in science, math, business management, or engineering is preferred. Certifications such as RAC from the Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society, and/or Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) are preferred
- 9 years’ related experience
- Proven leadership skills and presence
- Experience working in a complex and matrix environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with senior management and executives
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Ability to manage budget and timelines of projects and resources within a program or project. Strong attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Effective use of negotiation skills to resolve issues in cross-functional teams to ensure completion of assigned tasks. Keen awareness to cultural nuances; proven ability to work in a global environment. Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with and influence multi-divisional and multi-functional teams from across the globe
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.