Associate Director – OUS Data Integration & Architecture
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. With ~48,000 employees around the globe, we strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across our Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. AbbVie reported 2020 annual revenue in excess of $45 billion.
For more information, please visit www.abbvie.com.
Summary of Job Description:
The Associate Director – Data Integration & Architecture will be responsible for the overall management of AbbVie’s data assets for its OUS business. This includes the responsibility for the technical architecture for data management (structured and unstructured), design and architecture related to integration of both structured and unstructured data (batch as well as real time). The incumbent will be accountable for seamless access to high quality, relevant and organized information for business and analytics purposes. The role will work closely with the Data Governance, Data Quality, Analytics & Reporting functions.
- In conjunction with the AbbVie Enterprise Data Organization (EDO), define the platform and data strategy to meet the needs of AbbVie businesses outside of US by leveraging tools like Mulesoft, TIBCO and Kafka.
- Coordinate with EDO on technology roadmaps and implementation plans
- Drive the OUS Business Analytics Architecture capabilities by working with a team of architects supporting different technologies
- In partnership with EDO, build from ground up, the OUS unstructured data management capability
- Responsible for design, delivery and management of Mulsesoft, TIBCO and Kafka based Integrations as well as strategy and framework for affiliate data needs which are not served by the Data Warehouse.
- Responsible for strategy, design, development and ongoing management of data Integration from various systems such as CRM data, financial data, in market pharmaceutical data, deidentified patient data, Real world evidence data, multichannel and digital data sources.
- Provide an expert and autonomous service to manage internal and external vendors, driving delivery of unique local solutions, on behalf of the Global Brand/Functional teams
- Deliver Innovative, flexible and customisable end-to-end services that support AbbVie’s master data management program as well as business analytics & reporting strategies.
- Engage and partner with Global, Area as well as affiliate BTS organization to influence and implement a broad BTS strategy aligned with the global brand strategy, providing area input in the formulation and revision of the global and area strategy and adopting, implementing and localizing global/regional strategies applicable to the affiliate.
- Strategic Thinking:
- Understands challenges and opportunities which can be addressed by leveraging existing solutions or tangible innovative solutions and help generate true insights for incremental and disruptive business improvement.
- Aligns department priorities appropriately, determines critical success factors, evaluates and pursues initiatives based on fit with strategies.
- Champion change and innovation with the marketing and strategic functions to enable differentiation with the use of digital solutions.
- Stimulates creativity and innovation in others. Open to new ideas. Supports those who initiate change and take risks.
- Actively participates in the OUS BTS plan and LRP processes.
- Application Governance
- Owns all data management capability for OUS Application landscape.
- Participates in the leadership of the global BTS management.
- Project Delivery:
- Assesses the degree to which changes to scope, issues and risks will affect projects working with division or senior/executive management and sponsor to gain agreement for resolution. Measure performance to assure the project is progressing as compared to original plan and budget.
- Leads project teams in developing and executing a program plan ensuring that authorized resources are obtained to make certain that all activities are performed.
- Communicate project progress by producing project reports to provide timely and accurate project status and decision support information to Project Team, Division, Cross Division and Executive management.
- Budget Management:
- Negotiates, secures and oversees the availability of resources to meet the daily operational demands of the area.
- Oversee and control department budgets, project capital/RCE expenditures & ROI allocated to their brand(s): develop, monitor and meet expense and recovery plans; continually look for opportunities for cost reductions and cost avoidance
- Prepare budgets for cost pools and manage to them
- Leading People:
- Responsible for all aspects of people leadership; setting expectations, coaching, counseling, developing, evaluating, feedback, hiring, discipline and separations. Determine necessary mix of skill set
- Confronts and deals with employees and contract worker issues in a constructive and timely manner
- Relationship Management:
- Establish and maintain high-quality relationships with all levels across the company
- Identified and acknowledged as the single point of contact for all BTS needs for their brand team(s).
- Responsible for maintaining relationships with our third party software venders and managing the associative contracts along with Corporate Purchasing.
- Bachelor’s degree and ten (10) years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience in Integration technologies and tools like Mulesoft, TIBCO and Kafka
- Experience leading the development and delivery of data management, BI Architecture, data warehousing and integration solutions.
- Strong architectural background and understanding of Integration principles like service-oriented architecture.
- Experience with ingestion, staging, harmonization and management of unstructured data assets
- Experience working with pharmaceutical data and associated data privacy and regulatory needs.
- Strong understanding of emerging technology trends in big data analytics and their application & implication on pharmaceutical companies.
- Capable of making smart decisions and operating with a clarity and calm in high pressure environment.
- Preferred Experience:
- Understanding of common pharmaceutical data (Sales, Finance, CRM, etc).
- Experience in MDM implementation and Reltio based technology is a plus.
- Prior experience leading a shared service data management & analytics organization
- Confident, mature, resourceful, desiring to embrace new learning opportunities
- Working in Matrix organization
- Superior interpersonal skills, able to interact well with all levels of internal and external persons and agencies
- Diligent individual that can quickly adapt to changes
- Good organizational skills and attention to details
- Great team player with a commitment to contribute to the organization’s performance.
- Innovative and risk based thinking
Minimum Skills Required:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Business Acumen
- Ability to interact with business leaders in non-IT conversations.
- Understanding/expertise in definition and implementation of digital blueprint and strategy for pharmaceutical/healthcare industry.
Quality, Safety & Environmental Responsibilities:
- Attend regular departmental meetings with manager/supervisor to build in continuous feedback mechanisms.
- Meet the requirements of ISO and Class A by complying with all relevant Quality policies and procedures to ensure the Quality objectives of the business are met.
- Comply with all relevant company Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental policies, procedures and work practices with the intent of preventing or minimizing accidental exposures to self, colleagues and/or the environment.
Required Competencies for this role:
Know the business
Make Difficult decisions
Planning & Organising
Budget & People Management
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.